1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Slotted Trip Style plows

Discussion in 'Government Property Snow Removal' started by mackclmodel, Nov 23, 2014.

1. mackclmodel

mackclmodel Senior Member

2. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

We have one like it, made by Tenco, and I have used similar ones.

3. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Most of the dust pans in my area are set up like that. I prefer the trip edge style better because it scrapes better.

4. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

This plow design is made more for throwing the snow back away from the road, designed for speed. We only use ours for road widening. It will scrape pretty well, but you have to set it on the right tilt angle.

5. mackclmodel

Do you have to run shoes ? We plow for the state and they won't let us run shoes.

6. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

We do on this plow, because we only use it for widening the roads, so part of the plow is on the shoulder. But the rest of our plows have no shoes. We have 2 med duty trucks with 9 foot westerns, the rest are bigger trucks, one with a Monroe 11 foot, 2 with 11 foot Tenco's plus one spare plow and 2 with 12 foot Tenco's, all of witch have no shoes.

7. mercer_me

All of our plows have shoes but, they are raised off the ground quite a ways and they are only there for when the cutting edge gets worn down it won't wear into the blade.

8. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

That's a good idea. We use a carbide edge with a steel edge in front. We check them after each storm, when they get worn down to the width of two fingers from the moldboard we know that we are at the bottom of the carbide and then change the edge before the plow goes out again. We keep extra carbide and steel edges in stock so that way we are ready to go.

9. mercer_me

We run single carbide edges on the front plow and double steel on the wing. When the carbide is all the way worn and it's starting to wear into the rest of the cutting edge we change the cutting edges. We have a pile of cutting edges on hand and we can change them during a storm if we have to.

10. mackclmodel

We normally plow at about 20-25 mph. We had a Everest trip-edge last year that my buddy turned into a v-plow when he caught a bridge joint and the plow couldn't trip out of it :cry: I never liked trip edge plows for plowing streets and highways

11. geer hed

geer hed Senior Member

I have never personally used a trip edge plow, but don't really care for them from things I have seen and heard from people who use them, but since I have never used one I wont condemn them, especially because I see a lot of guys on hear who like them. I quess it's one of those things where one guy loves them and the next hates them. We run 15 to 20 MPH on our roads, but then the speed limit on ours are 25, so we don't get the chance to do much high performance snow removal. Which is good for me, I don't get in as much trouble that way. I see in the one picture you have a wing plow, I have never had the chance to use one of them either. My boss talked about getting one, but then we realized it wouldn't fit through the shop doors, so he scratched that idea.

12. mackclmodel

It seems to be a New England thing everyone has a hard on for compression spring trip edge plows which are Fishers. I think they like to see the plow jump 3' in the air when tripping. I personally run an 11' Wausau one way full trip on a tri-axle dump truck. The plow weighs damn near 2,000lbs and trips more gentler than a Fisher.

13. mercer_me

Like I said, I like the trip edge better because it scrapes better from what I've scene. Trip edges do trip more violently that other types of trips (as far as dust pans go). I can't imagine plowing with out a wing. Pushing banks back would be a nightmare and just regular plowing would be a pain in the a$$. I like having a wing so I can get the snow off the hot top with one pass. In the early Fall and late Spring when the shoulders are soft we will plow with our wings up and I hate it. I feel like I can't get the snow off the road far enough.

14. LON

LON Senior Member

http://www.hendersonproducts.com/images/brochures/HP-050_OWP.pdf
    http://www.hendersonproducts.com/plowsf.html

I have a slotted trip OWP coming in for a customer in Erie. PennDOT uses plows similar to these on all their trucks. Most guys in our area like the slotted trip.