1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sloppy Ultamount

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by snerdy, Nov 22, 2014.

1. snerdy

snerdy Member

My Ultramount is 7 years old, but I keep it maintained. As of last year I noticed it moves around on the mounts a lot more when I am driving down the road. I notice holes through the mount above the locking pins, my question is, can I put an extra set of pins through those holes?

2. mishnick

mishnick 2000 Club Member

No sure exactly what holes you are talking about but if it makes you feel more secure I don't see why not to try it. Ultra mounts are pretty secure though so I am not sure why you would need to do this. As long as your locking cam pins (L shaped pins with red rubber coating on the landing / locking gear) are firmly seated when the plow is mounted and those big 3/4" pivot bolts are snug the plow should be fine. I have seen plows fall off when the big bolt is too loose or when the landing / locking gear is bent and damaged. In one case a guys front end was so low the constant hitting of the receivers on the ground bent them back so far the locking camps couldn't actually latch.

I wonder, when I recall how my wide-out bounced as I went over bumps or rail tracks at high speed, would making the plow tighter in the vehicle mounts be a problem? Perhaps the plow needs to float in the receivers a bit. A plow is heavy, if it was really rigidly mounted to the plow it might be a lot harder on the vehicle mounts and the front frame of the truck.

Would be nice to know exactly what holes you are talking about. Perhaps a picture?? Have a digital camera??

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Are you sure it's not your A frame center bolt? They usually wear there the most

4. snerdy

snerdy Member

5. mishnick

Well that certainly is the stand / lock. I think the hole you are talking about can be used for a security bolt when it is in the up / locked on the truck position. I think it was designed as an extra locking device. You can put a long pin through the stand and then through the lower lift frame. Then you can put a pad lock through the pin. But I have never seen anyone actually use it for this.

6. snerdy

snerdy Member

That is what I was wondering, the arms are a little out of shape but the pins still lock in, I was just thinking for an added feeling of security. It hasn't come off yet.

7. mishnick

If they are a bit beat up I think your idea is a good one. I have seen the result of a stand dropping while driving at highway speed, had one customer whose plow fell right off the truck as both locks failed. Not a pretty site and the stands are about $400 each not even getting into the other damage!!! You can buy the shoes separately but the primary assembly you showed in the photo above is an assembly, you can't buy pieces.

Check that the 3/4" bolts that the stands pivot on are snug. When I do a service on a plow I generally take the stands off and grease behind then put them back on and tighten the bolts just enough that the stand won't drop on it's own, I like them to push down with just a bit of force but not a struggle. If the bolts are loose the chances of spontaneously uncoupling are significantly higher.

8. snerdy

snerdy Member

Thanks. I got some ball hitch pins that fit just right!