1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sloppy 203

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by KTripp, Dec 14, 2002.

1. KTripp

KTripp Junior Member
    from Oregon

I have a 74 Chevy Suburban. 350, 4speed manual, 203 transfer case. I've been trying to track down a vibration since I've owned the truck. I think I've narrowed it down to the drive train. There is alot of play in the drive shaft. I can twist the drive shaft while in gear, about 1/2 inch. I'm wondering if the chain is so loose it is creating the vibration. There is alot of slop when shifting.

If it is the chain in the xfer case, how hard is it to change?

FYI,
    I've replaced the tie-rods, u-joints, ball joints. Checked mounts. I'm positive that it has a part time kit in it. It has hubs on the front axle. At highway speeds, I can push in the clutch and the vibration is still there.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Newby to the board.
    Thanks in advance.

KT

2. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

is this truck a factory clutch if so you do not have a 203 chain drive you have a 205 gear drive the same as my 80 3/4 mt 4x4 factory part time and mine has the same slop but no vibration

things to check

1 wheels and tires
    2 rear drive shaft
    3 rear axles
    4 front rotors

is the vibration in 2wd or 4wd if 4wd put it in 2wd does it go away
    where is the vibration or where do you feel if in seat, steering

if you have a tcase causing the vibration as you describe it would only when in 4wd not 2wd because there is no load on the front components

3. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

if i remember correctly, the np 203 was a gear drive case.

4. KTripp

KTripp Junior Member
    from Oregon

I've verified that it is a 203 from Chucks chevy truck pages.
    http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/drivetrains.html

Off road says it does have a chain.
    http://www.off-road.com/chevy/mm-np203/

I'm assuming that it has been converted to part time because of the locking hubs.

I'm sure it's not the tires. I've had two different sets of rims on it and three different sets of tires. No difference.

One of my next ideas was to get the drive line balanced.
    I guess I just had a concern about all the slop in the driveline.

How would the front brakes effect it?
    How would I check the rear axle? And what for?

Thanks guys.

5. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

check all of the metion components for warpage and bending or damage

I still believe you have a 205 gear drive with factory locking hubs as that is what all 4spds after 73 came with

on the rear of the case there should be a round metal tag for an older chevy you have 3 choices 203 chain drive 205 gear drive and 208 aluminum gear drive

balancing is a good idea start with the cheapest and easyest our wheels and tires I have seen allot of good parts replaced because someone swore the tires were good and they were really junk or just improperly balance

6. Dave1250

Dave1250 Member

Do you have a bearing between

Does your truck have a bearing on the drive shaft I was reading today about a problem with this bearing going bad it the last thing people look at . Hope it helps

7. KTripp

KTripp Junior Member
    from Oregon

Dave,

Are you referring to a two piece rear drive shaft?

I just have a one piece.