1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Slop in center Blade Mount

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by cferg44, Mar 10, 2010.

1. cferg44

cferg44 Junior Member

We just got a new Boss 7'6" streight blade this fall need to know if any has see a lot of wear at the center mount when the blade is up it will easy rock 1 1/2" by picking the blade up at eather side. I mounted the blade my self & thought at the time that was a lot of play,
    I showed the Dealer today & they are saying this is normal. I have beem puting grease on the center wear plate but it still of course is cutting through the paint & into the steel. I can put a bout an 1/8 " shim in there but want to besure it dosen't mess somthing else up.
    Can anybody help please.

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

An 1 1/2" is normal and you want some side to side play in it or else it won't follow the ground contours well. But if you insist on removing the play simply tighten the pivot bolt tighter. Doing so will squeeze the quadrant tighter on the A-frame.

But I wouldn't recommend it, you'll be dissatisfied with the results. If it can't move at all it can't follow the ground.

3. cferg44

cferg44 Junior Member

Thank you I was afraid of that, I won't shim it. I checked the center bolt to besure it was tight but I didn't pull on it hard enough to squeeze it togeather. I'll just keep greaseing it, I just hate to see it diging into the Center bar that way. I seen a guy today with a Western on & checked it, it seemed to be doing the same thing. Thanks again.

4. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

slop

just a question for b&b i thought about drilling a grade 8 bolt to make the center bolt greasable i can drill one on my lathe pretty easy .

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Nothing wrong with that Bill, makes preventative maintenance little easier. An 1/8" hole is perfect and without greatly affect the bolts strength.

6. wild bill

pivot

yeah i will use a drive zirt ,just got to plot out how i can replace it with out tearing it all apart .thinking about driving it up slightly and driving a 3/4 piece of round stock in from the bottom to hold the center popping the bolt out and driving the new one in pushing the rod out .:)

7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Shouldn't have to do any of that. Set the plow on the ground and pull the bolt out. That's how I do them all.

8. wild bill

bolt

ok i was just worring about it moving .:)

9. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It shouldn't. If it does then somethings wrong (bent). No fears otherwise.

10. wild bill

pivot

cool , guess the cylinder's will hold it centered buy the static pressure .was just being paranoid !:waving:

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Yes they will. But if you're really concerned simply throw a couple C-clamps on it to clamp the quadrant to the pushframe. Won't go anywhere then. :D

12. wild bill

sound's like a winner 1