1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Slippery Trailer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 04chevy2500, Dec 9, 2009.

1. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

We have a 16 ft tilt skid steer trailer. I dont often have to move out skids during storms but sometimes theirs no other option. Even after storms transporting can be tricky. The deck is wood and when it gets wet from snow and ice we run into problems loading the machines. Any advie on what i should do to correct this problem? Grip tape?

2. Indy

Indy Senior Member

Expanded metal,

it's cheap and easy

3. smoore45

smoore45 Senior Member

With the snow and ice, the skid steer(or whatever you want to put on a trailer) needs something to push or grab against. The grip tape will just get covered in ice or snow and become ineffective. I have a steep entrance into my snowmobile trailer, so I took an old snowmobile track and attached it to the ramp(lugs facing upward) and now my snowmobile goes up it everytime. Now, in your case, that would probably not be feasible, but you could get some heavy rubber (1/2" to 3/4" thick) cut it into strips(say 2" by 12") and attach those to the ramp or any part of the trailer decking you are having trouble with. Space them out far enough so the tire can start to fall in between them, but not too far where you will still slip the tire. Just an idea, good luck.

4. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

Well if you have 2x lumber as the deck of the trailer, here is what you do: Just get you some 2 1/2" nails and nail them up from the bottom. A few thousand should do it, and that bobcat ain't going anywhere.

5. Joesno

Joesno Senior Member

what ive been told is that you should:
    ---get a bag of sand and dust the surface with it
    -- then put wood sealer in a backpack sprayer and spray down the wooden deck.

it supposedly acts like sand paper on the wood. its probably not the right time of the season to do this anyways because of the weather. In the spring or over the summer try it.

6. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

slippery when wet!

i would go down to the welding shop or steel fab shop and get some perforated steel sheet with diamonds and screw some 4-5 ft buy 16" sections down to the deck .like on the back gate of land scape trailers ,i hope this link to mcmaster carwill show a good picture .
    http://www.mcmaster.com/#perforated-metal/=4v0pjb

7. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

take a bunch of zip screws and put them face down, your going to need alot!

8. fordzilla1155

fordzilla1155 Senior Member

fluid film :bluebounc:

9. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

thanx guys
    ik this isnt the best time of year to dothis but we have two other trailers so im going to put this one in the shop for a few days to dry it out. i definately like Ipushsnow's idea of the nails. sounds like it will work PERFECTLY :) haha

10. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I throw down a few shovel fulls of ice melt on my trailer before we use it. Snow melts on contact so there is no slick buildup. If the deck is already wet, you could try a few shovels worth of sand/salt where the tires will be.

11. In2toys

In2toys Senior Member

damn that's a great idea. Where's my framing nailer, that will make quick work of it...:drinkup::drinkup:

12. Wildman_fab

Wildman_fab Junior Member

I just shovel mine off, then throw a few shovels of sand on there to knock the slippery ice down.

13. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

Either do as wildman or cut some cleats from 5/4" decking and alternate spacing side to side on the trailer

14. welded wrenches

welded wrenches Senior Member

???

oh ya add this to that list ol set of truck tire chains that have them v-bars on the chains face up on her deck...oh wait or r we havein a global warming issue lol

15. The Big Push

The Big Push Junior Member
    from Ontario

The nails sound like a good idea, till some employee slips on the machine and puts his hands out to stop himself.