1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Slip and falls....

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ajlawn1, Jan 7, 2016.

1. Ajlawn1

Ajlawn1 Senior Member

Well its been a mild winter so far but had two slip and falls already this year and only one the past 10 years. Granted we have grown in properties over the years so obviously your exposure becomes greater. I realize anyone can sue for whatever reason my question is what has transpired from everyone's experiences that have had issues. One of mine happened this past Tues at 10 a.m. and the property manager was notified yesterday at 4 p.m. along with myself. The other happened Monday in the middle of a 4" storm and they called just today. My question is what is everyone experience with, late notification like this, no witnesses, during an actual snow event, no police report, no pics etc...

2. snowplower1

snowplower1 Senior Member

They can be a pain sometimes. But if there is no evidence no injury no police report just notify your insurance agent and they should just laugh at them and have it dismissed. Provide your insurance agent with any documentation proving your service to them to help.

I personally don't deal with them, my dad does since he's owner but I know one story he said the judge ruled it just an act of God because they slipped during a snow event where they shouldn't have really been out. One of the good things to look for are what shoes were they wearing. If they had some moccasins on then they could have slipped on just water I love seeing people walk around in bald shoes and then complain that it's slippery out.

3. JTVLandscaping

JTVLandscaping Senior Member

I had one in 2011...There was a contract in place saying the owner hired me to service it, so the owner was off the hook, and I had documentation saying I was there and serviced it, so I was off the hook. I guess they broke their arm. Of course the "incident" happened in February and I wasn't contacted until August so I'm sure it was legit.

4. sectlandscaping

sectlandscaping Senior Member

I only had one about 4 years ago. This was 3 days after a storm in March. I heard about it about 5 months later. I dont think anything ever happen. The contract stated our services were completed after deicing. If there was slippery conditions to notify us. We did not offer site patrol!