1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Slip and Fall call - What To Do Next

Discussion in 'Snow Management Safety & Training' started by Paul24, Jan 23, 2013.

1. Paul24

Paul24 Junior Member
    from Ontario

I received this e-mail to my company stating the person was a tenant living at an apartment building I plow and salt for. He apparently slipped and fell and hurt himself. He tells me he happened to have a knife in his lunch bag and he fell on it and had to get stitches at the hospital, miss work, as did his wife, etc. He says he's out the day of pay from work, parking at hospital, his clothes, and wants to handle this without lawyers. Does this sound like a scam, what should I do. My guys keep logs and I think the buidling has security camera's- that likely don't cover the lot. Strange that is this person was really hurt, why wouldn't they call me?

Is it better to just get my insurance to deal with it, and suffer through a premium hike, or wait for him to sue me and plead my case in front of a judge.

Any help is appreciated...
  2. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I would reply with "Where did you fall? What time?Did anybody see you fall, did you report the icy conditions? What footwear were you wearing? Did you require an ambulance? etc. Here's my lawyers #.

Or "Where did you fall?....Yah, that's not our lot." LOL
    See where it goes.

Personally would not pay out without a hearing or mediator to determine blame. I wouldn't even mention it to my insurance untill I figured it was on the up and up.
    But that is what they are there for.
    Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  3. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

Start by getting a copy of the incident report from the police or first responder. The fact that he wants to settle so quickly & directly with you sounds very suspicious. How do you know he wasn't in a drunken fight the night before with his old lady? How many people carry knives in their lunch bag & then fall on them? There's a reason why he's taking this route, you need to figure that out because the story has too much stink.
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

This place have any security cameras around? Tell him you want the hospital report first.
  5. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

Yea this is fishy.....

1. Do what Mr.Markus said.... that might scare him off if he's trying to scam you.
    2. Depending on how the email is worked it might have been a Scam email sent to various contractors...if there is nothing "personal" in the email linking your company i would just sent it to junk spam folder. If he is serious he/or his lawyer will deal with it.
  6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I slipped and fell and the wod of 100 dollar bills went flying and now Im out 10k....that I had in a lunch bag. Good advice from above.
  7. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Keep us informed, I'd like to know how it all turns out.

And welcome to Plowsite!

8. pabaker66

pabaker66 Senior Member

1. Why didn't the property manager email or call you? Shouldn't they have a report of the incident?
    2. Were you even there the day it happened? was there an event that day?
  9. shovelracer

shovelracer Senior Member

You call your insurance ASAP and give them everything you have about it. You make sure your personal lawyer is on file. You direct further inquiries to your handling agent. You do not go putting details on plowsite till after it is settled. You raise their rate 20% next year for wasting your time.
  10. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

Best advice yet.

11. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Gotta agree with white gardens and shovelracer.

If its a scam your insurance company will get to the bottom better/faster than you. They HATE paying out.
  12. CHPL

CHPL Member

Agree with above straight to your insurance company. They will be able to handle it and guide you. Anything other than that could blow up in your face unless you are an attorney .
  13. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

Although I haven't had anything like this happen to me before, I would be contacting whoever manages the property and get them involved. Sounds a little sketchy to me and he's hoping you just don't want to get insurance involved.

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

SCAM!!!!! You would have gotten a CALL from the property manager/management the second it happened saying get out here NOW and salt (at least I would have). Do NOT respond to the email or talk to anyone besides your contact and your insurance, contact PM and ask them "what happened? I got this email from so and so stating bla bla bla and I'm concerned that you didn't contact me when it happened". The guy probably got your number off your truck the last time you were there and looked you up.
  15. trustyrusty

trustyrusty Senior Member

If you pay him off based on his email send me your email address please.

Just kidding of course. Good luck.
  16. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

You should be talking/emailing (etc) to only 1 person. Your insurance company. It's the only single call to make, and then wait for your adjuster/investigator to get back to you.

You don't want it to bite you in the a$$.
  17. Ford.crazy

Ford.crazy Junior Member

I'd consider it junk mail and send it to the spam folder. noone is going to e-mail you and say they don't want to go though insurance if something is not fishy about it. I've never had someone e-mail me about being hurt, it's always a manager or someone from the site that calls over thing like this. If you want to dig into it call the manager of the place and ask about it, if they have no clue about it don't worry about it. Just my opinion
  18. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I'd say erase every trace from your email files...but you already posted here...now it's out there.
    So, I say keep 100% quiet. If they email again, do not open it.
    If they call, take down the info, and call your insurance provider, then a lawyer if you can afford it or have one on retainer. And then let them guide you.
  19. Triton2286

Triton2286 Senior Member

Did you receive the email through your website or did they have your email address?
  20. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Sticking your head really is not a upstanding business decision.