1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Slightly rusty Plow.....remedy???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by NU-Plowr, Nov 21, 2004.

1. NU-Plowr

NU-Plowr Member

What do you guys do when the face of your plow gets some rust spots? Anyone use the polyshields? :help:
  2. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

Haven't used a poly shield yet just because i am worried about how brittle it could be in the cold?

i just sanded mine down coated it with bondo, sanded to remove exess bondo. Painted it with my meyer brand paint and now smooth as a babies butt. Very time consuming and i also used air sanders which sped up the process
  3. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

theres your answer pumpkin:
  4. johntwist

johntwist Senior Member

Bondo??? Ok, I'm not trying to be a smartass at all but wouldn't bondo just crack and fall right off the face of a plow? Or has it really been that many years since I used that stuff????
  5. Midwest BuildIt Inc

Midwest BuildIt Inc PlowSite.com Addict

Thats what i was thinken,,,,how does it stay on there. most plows will barely hold onto the paint.
  6. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

If they would just start putting a decent primer on those things from the factory to help paint stay bonded to metal.
  7. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

For the record. The quote refered to in this post was not made by me. The grammar and spelling will tell you that. For the record Blizzard plows do not have any better or worse paint jobs than the others. Now you can quote me properly.
  8. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

You can not add bondo or other material of this nature. If there is a hole then patch with a weild. Otherwise, sand as best you can and og to eastwood.com and fine a rust inhibitor. Then use an etching primer and paint. This will help but, ultimatly the rust has started.
  9. Tarkus

Tarkus PlowSite.com Addict

A good bit of the rusty dame occurs when any plow is sitting 9 months a year (give or take) after a winter season. Make sure clean it good when done for season and possible even coat it with some thick oil sprayed on it as well (I do) to further protect it in storage.
  10. 85F150

85F150 Senior Member

when sanded down to bare metal there is some slight pitting from the rust, i like a smooth surface. If prepped properly the bondo will hold. You first use 36 grit at the most to ruff the surface to give it something to grab too. Then put the bondo on, and sand it all down. The most bondo that is left is maybe a 1/16" to fill in the little pits. Use a high quality primer to seal everything. Then apply the plow paint.

It holds up without a prob. Bondo just has a bad rap because people don't prep properly or they try to fill a dent with a can of bondo.