1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

slight hesitation when driving with plow...

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Up North, Dec 8, 2004.

1. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Don't know if I can explain this correctly but I'll try. I have a 2000 1/2 ton Chevy Silverado with the Blizzard 760LT. The plow weighs 550lbs. plus whatever the "A" frame weighs, then I have 600lbs. of ballast in the rear over my axle. When I am driving with the plow I either drive in tow/haul mode or in 3rd. Here's what I'm experiencing...when in transport (driving down the road) at 50-60mph I feel a slight hesitation in the truck every once in a while. It'll drive just fine then for a split second it'll feel like something is trying to pull me back, only lasts for a second or two then it's gone. At first I just blew it off thinking it was the wind hitting the plow and pushing against me, but yesterday the winds were pretty light and I still felt it on occasion. Is this normal? Is it the wind pushing against me? Is it something I need to worry about?

Went to town today without the plow on and it was fine, no hesitation at all. Got me baffled.

Buck

2. Frozen001

Frozen001 Senior Member
    from Rome NY

Do you have the defrosters on... It could be the A/C compressor kicking on...

3. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Really?? Yes I did. But I don't notice it any other time when it kicks on. Is it because of the load I'm carrying and sucking some HP?

Buck

4. 4speed

4speed Member

2 things to consider. i dont want to sound condescending but ytou do realize that tow/haul mode changes your shift points,right? The other thing you have to look at is the weather conditions. here in buffalo last night none of our west bound trucks were able to exceede52 mph because of the high winds. your plow pushes air as well as it pushes snow.!

5. new2it

new2it Member

Not a mechanic by any standards but sounds like something that happened to me with my old car. It ended up being one of the coils was bad so I wouldn't get a spark. Ran perfect then as you described it died down for a second then picked back up (no ramping time, just down then back to normal). Just a thought. Check the resistance between the coil posts. Should be 0.

6. jpunlimited

jpunlimited Senior Member

not to worry yet

are you using the tow/haul mode or 3rd because the dam thing always wants to go into over drive at a low speed? if so that is what my 2000 chevy service van would feel like when I would turn off the over drive. the over drive disable or tow/haul mode will give you that held back feeling. the torque converter will lock up to save gas and then unlock because of changes in vehicle drag,hills plows etc. this anoyed me to no end at 48mph.

the new vehicle has the same over drive shut off and will act a little quirky at 48 to 50. after research I also found that when trans temps rise the converter locks up sooner to reduce slippage and reduce temps so it can feel like driving a standard in to low of a gear. aren't computers great!

7. Up North

Up North Senior Member

This seems pretty logical. I know the wind can effect the drive as well due to the plow acting as a big sail. Like I mentioned earlier it only happens with the plow on. Today I took a drive without the plow and drove in 3rd and all was fine. So I think it has to do with all the extra weight in conjunction with wind resistance therefore causing different shift patterns, and the need for more HP to keep speed up to higher levels. Geez, I sound like a damn scientist or something.

Anyway, thanks for all the tips guys. I think the truck is just fine, I hope.

Buck

8. Breck75

Breck75 Senior Member

I have a 7 1/2 Boss total weight is around 700lbs. When I drive I too use the tow/haul mode and the truck drives and sounds different than when I take my plow off. I think between the different shift patterns and the plow, that is why your truck is acting differently. I'm not a mechanic but it makes sense to me. :waving: