1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Slight burning smell

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by mac3897, Jan 18, 2004.

1. mac3897

mac3897 Member
    from MA

I am afraid to say but I think I may have what could be a possible transmission problem in the not too distant future.

I was plowing on for an hour or so and I took the transmission fluid dipstick out and the fluid smells slightly burnt (deffinatly not sweet).

Any tips or suggestions to maximize my transmissions life.

Thanks
    Mac

2. JMR

JMR Senior Member

BIG trans cooler. Flush fluid often & change filter. Overheating the transmission will greatly reduce its life.

3. mac3897

mac3897 Member
    from MA

I do have the factory trans cooler but i may look into another.
    an I had the fluid changed about 2 weeks ago. How often should it be done?

Thanks

4. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I have mine flushed before and after the winter. Flushing costs a little bit more than just a filter and fluid change but it's well worth the money. Have it flushed.:nod: :waving:

5. JMR

JMR Senior Member

When you have it flushed be sure to have the filter changed. I hope you wouldn't ever think of changing your engine oil and not replace the filter. Treat your trans to a new filter too. A restricted transmission filter will starve the trans of fluid and burn it up faster than you can imagine.

6. HayBay

HayBay Junior Member
    from Ontario

maximize my transmissions life.

Mabey a transmission temperature guage would be a good idea now or next time.

HayBay.:) :cool:

7. The Boss

I've got one. Comes in real handy.:D

8. mac3897

mac3897 Member
    from MA

Thanks for the info. Where can I buy a trans cooler? And how hard are they to install? I am fairly mechanically inclined but is this something best done buy a full time mechanic?

Mac

9. The Boss

You can get one at most auto parts stores. If they don't have it, they can ordrer it. They are fairly easy to install. No need to pay someone unless you got the money to burn.:D :waving:

10. handenterprises

handenterprises Junior Member

i have a b&m super cooler and an extra deep trans pan on my trucks. the cooler is the new embrosed style good for 22000 gvw. the pan holds three extra quarts and also has a drain plug to make fluid and filter changes not so messy. coolers and pans were $50 each from jegs racing