1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sliding

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Charles, Oct 21, 2000.

1. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I am not a snow plower. But i was wondering. has anyone ever slide into anything. Like a car? A garage door? or has anyone ever hit you with a car? Also it seems that the season is starting later for the past 3 years. Is this true generally speaking?

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I had a Jeep CJ 5 with a Western plow, that acted as a "planer board". I'd drop the plow, and spin sideways. In one driveway, I hit a fence, a chimney, and a house. All light hits, with no real damage, except the chian link fence. The plow got caught on it, and I mangled it getting it off. Other than that, I never slid into anything, or hit anything while plowing. Oh, and after I hit all that in the one driveway, I never plowed with that CJ again, but sold it ASAP.

~Chuck

3. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

We usually get hit once a season,we usually hit someone once a season.On top of that we have "been hit" by dumpsters,parked car, those little poles at banks in the drive throughs,concrete light pole bases as well as the light poles themselves.With light poles you really have to watch your back cause they will attack when your backing up and move across the lot and get you from behind. Also snow drifts can reach up if you get to close and punch in the doors of your trucks.Thank goodness none of these accidents are mine or any of my drivers fault.

4. Charles

Charles Moderator Staff Member

I have mangled a few fences myself Chuck. That was funny Diggerman

5. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I had another contractor ram the side of one of my trucks with a GMC 3500, and a fisher v plow in the v setting. He missed the red light and kept on going. Needless to say the truck spent 6 weeks in a body shop, and had a lot of work done in the cab area.

However we have yet to hit anyone with any of our trucks, in the entire history of the company. I had an istance which i belive was BS last winter involving a rock and a windstar headlight.

We reloacted a dumpster free of charge last winter. Always move a few shoping carts and trash cans. In 98 we had an ice storm, we plowed one driveway that had tons of branches in it. Oh yea private roads are good for a few mailboxes a season, and once in a while a fence.

Geoff

[Edited by GeoffDiamond on 10-21-2000 at 09:23 PM]

6. steveair

steveair Senior Member

hello,

usually the only threat I have is other plow trucks.

When running down the runway at 40 mph, sometimes the plowers ahead spin out at the end of the pass and cause 'evasive' maneuvers.

Its amazing how a walter snow fighter with a 20 ft, 6000lb plow on the front and a 8000 lb block of concrete in the back skates across asphault. Once it goes, there ain't no stopping it.

Luckily, besides our other trucks, there is not a whole of a lot to hit out on the airfield. Well, besides planes.....but we try to keep away from them.

One of the worst situations, is after the first pass down the runway, all the trucks have to turn around, line up, and wait for the last truck to start a second pass. This is wear the majority of slippage occurs. With the walter, you hit the air brakes at even 2 mph, and you will slide infinitely across the asphault. Easy to end up off the edge of the asphault just trying to turn aroud and get into position again. Jake brake is great, but doesn't work at those slow speeds.

steveair

[Edited by steveair on 10-21-2000 at 11:54 PM]

7. UNISCAPE

UNISCAPE Member

2 - GARAGE DOORS
    1 - CORVETTE
    1 - BRICK SIDING
    3 - TREES
    CURBS,MANHOLES,FENCES, ETC........OH YEA.....ONE BOULDER GOT HUNG UP UNDER THE DRIVERS DOOR ONCE TOO.

8. UNISCAPE

UNISCAPE Member

ALSO ONE MORE THING.....I SLID OFF A PRIVATE BRIDGE ABOVE A RIVER IN THE BLIZZARD OF 1996 IN A FORD MASON DUMP AND A FULL LOAD OF SALT IN THE REAR....
    ONLY LOST THE FRONT HALF OF THE AXEL OVER THE EDGE......
    FUN FUN FUN

9. Highpoint

Highpoint Senior Member

king of the road (I thought)!?

1" of ice on the roads, I am out in my 8 month old 97 Dodge Quad cab spreading salt and sand. I was in the vicinity of a friends house. I thought I would "do him a favor" (for free) and drop some traction on his 400 ft long drive. I had been driving all over town doing my thing with now problem getting around on the icy roads so I was feeling cocky. This is NOT a good way to be! 2 blocks from his house, I came around a sloping corner going to fast and slid into a parked car. Trashed my pretty truck from bumper to bumper on the passenger side. Had to much to do, the truck was driveable, I left a note and finished out my day. Moral of the story. Don't ever let the conditions get the upper hand! Always be aware of conditons and surroundings. Cocky cost me a $500.00 deductible and a messed up truck for the remainder of the winter. Truck was never the same after being fixed, air leaks, bad paint, etc.

10. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Steve useing a jake break in snow?

Ah i always thought that was a big no no. The reason is the jake can lock up the rear end, and then you go spinning.

Geoff

11. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I would rather have 24" snow than 1/8" of ice. Way to dangerous to drive on. All our contracts state we wreserve the right to remove drivers from the road, if conditions are to hazzardous.
    Dino

12. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

Geoff we don't hit other cars either the wind blows them on the icy ground right into our trucks,its really scary.Usually the same driver get mad and has to find another vehicle that he must think is some how kin to ram into later on during the year,but its free game for other drivers as well.

13. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

uniscape where are you from?

14. UNISCAPE

UNISCAPE Member

15. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

uniscape are you in bergen county? There is a Uniscape landscaping that is in Upper Saddle River i believe i may be wrong.

16. UNISCAPE

UNISCAPE Member

THATS ME...WHO ARE YOU?

17. Tim1075

Tim1075 Senior Member

My name is Tim Grosman i live in Allendale i have a friend Justin Murphy that worked for you this summer i believe and my friend Adam Davis knows you i think. Nice to see somebody else from our area on the fourm.

18. n y snow pros

n y snow pros Senior Member

We had a small freak ice storm last year that lasted about an hour and made the roads a nightmare.I had 5 sanders out on there way to accounts and 3 had crashed so, i had the 47oo International with a 5 yard sander and a 1 ton left.I was creeping and wouldnt you know it around a corner i go and there is a lady in what use to be a nice caddilac and a guy in an old totally restored vintage Chevy pickup.So i put my plow down ( 10mph) to hopefully stop in time,forget it i chose the pickup and crushed it in slow motion.He wasnt in the truck so i chose to take him out the lady was stuck in the car since the pickup had already hit her.After i made contact i turned my spreader on and backed up over the Magic salt for about 200yards and went on my way.

19. JCurtis

JCurtis Banned

personally, i knicked a garge door once when I was trying to get as close as possible to back blade away from the door.

I used to work with a guy who was plowing a lot during a storm many years ago. This guy hit on average on car per hour.Boss kept telling him to "be careful, be careful, take your time" He lasted in the truck until it He finally hit the 5th car which happened to be our boss's personal car. We never saw him again after that. EVER!!!!

20. iowastorm

iowastorm Senior Member

We've only hit and damaged things that deserved to get hit in the first place (stupid people driving too fast and running red lights, etc.).

Digs, what about the WalMart truck full of chickens that you 'plowed' into last year?