1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sleeping with truck running during storm

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plow man Foster, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

I know guys who sleep in their trucks during a long storm (24-72 hours)
    With the truck running for heat... Most of them live farther away from their sites. So its really not beneficial to go all the way back home just to sleep for a couple of hours.
    Does anyone else do this?
    Does this hurt the truck?

I have done it a couple of times but not too frequently, Really its just when i start seeing pink pandas in the snow i like to stop plowing and take a quick nap.
  2. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

It only takes a leaky exhaust one time to ruin your day
  3. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I see black dogs.

As for the post above, I agree, exhaust leak could end it all. Cracking the window might help against it.

That and if it's a diesel truck, then you might have problems with wet-stacking the valves causing major problems down the road. That is why most big-rigs have a throttle bump on them to kick up the rpm's when they sit for a long time.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Used to do it all the time. Park in an open area, put the fan up, roll the seat back, and get some shut eye. Even a half hour can make you feel like new.
  5. cmo18

cmo18 Senior Member

I think most newer diesel have the idle control to prevent that problem
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

15 minute nap and those funny clown faces in the snow go away,
  7. tailboardtech

tailboardtech Senior Member

i do it every year with my route being almost 30 miles from the shop i have a nice dark hiding spot i pull into catch an hour shut eye and i will be good as new i kick it up on hi idle crack the window
  8. lawn king

lawn king PlowSite.com Addict

I sleep when necessary, 12 to 20 minutes and im ready to roll!!
  9. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I see the occasional Thunderbird also.

10. clydebusa

clydebusa Member

I take naps, roll window down and snooze. When it is a bad storm and since I can't get the truck in the garage with plow on, I will leave the truck running even at the house for a 3 or 4 hour nap. Keeps everything from freezing up. I park it under a carport which holds some of the heat in.
  11. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I sleep in my office 3 or 4 times a year. Got a nice new futon for this year, sometimes that 20 minute drive is too much.
  12. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I have no problem sleeping in my truck for long hours. I have a diesel with an idle controller. I spin it up to 1200 rpm which brings the EGT's to 400+. I don't have to worry about wet stacking and it also keeps the heater warm.

I've always done my best to park facing into the wind. Doing so keeps a lot of the fumes from blowing back towards the cab.
  13. swtiih

swtiih PlowSite.com Addict

Park the truck with the exhaust facing down wind. i.e. if its a North wind the the rear of the truck should face the South. This way the exhaust blows away from the cab. Or you could just shut the truck off and get inside a 5lb sleeping bag. This way you won't sleep to long but lomg enough to get refreshed.
  14. Plow man Foster

Plow man Foster PlowSite.com Addict

lol isnt that noisy from the outside??
    I've never done that with my truck... i usually turn on the heat on the floor boards then... climb in the back seat since the seats dont recline.
  15. MikeRi24

MikeRi24 Senior Member

When I worked for the ambulance companies, we used to sit at street corners for hours (usually sleeping) with the truck running. Never really got into that "deep sleep" though, had to keep an ear open in case they called on the radio! I dont think I'd ever sleep in my truck, my plow route is not that far from my house so if anything I'd just run home for a bit.
  16. JeepTJ

JeepTJ Senior Member

17. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

Not really. If anything, it's a little quieter. The increase in RPM smooths out the engine a little. I've done a lot to soundproof the cab of my truck though. Other than the turbo, you can't hear much of the diesel rattle.

I have an old couch in my basement and I take the thick cushions off of it when I plan on sleeping in the truck. They help to level out the backseat and also gets me up a little higher so I can stretch out more. It's not much fun trying to sleep on cold, sloping leather anyway.
  18. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

As others have said, nose of the truck up wind, crack the windows, and recline the seat. I run all gassers and have never had a problem. If it's gonna be more than 20 minutes or so though I run to a relatives house or the office, over 4 hours I go home.

You guys are weird, I usually start seeing hot chicks in black string bikinis when I get tired, and I know it's time for a nap when they start taking them off. I know I'm past the point of needing a nap when they're dancing on a light pole in the rear view mirror... :dizzy:
  19. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I slept in my truck for a week straight, luckily the wife finally felt sorry for me and unlocked the door.
  20. BossPlow2010

BossPlow2010 PlowSite.com Addict

Lol and what led up to this?

I too have slept in my truck, I don't do it often during a storm though, but when I do, I leave my truck running and I park in a lit area such as a DIY car wash.