1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sleeping in your Truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by erkoehler, Feb 22, 2010.

1. erkoehler

erkoehler PlowSite Veteran

How often do you guys take a nap in your truck? After how many hours do you make your guys take a "rest"?

I have a place to crash only about 15 minutes outside of my route so I often sleep from 9ish to 12 at night during events. This is my biggest down time when accounts are all closed and if I'm back on the lots by 12:30/1am I am able to clear up to 4 inches by the time they need to be done in the morning. If we end up getting more than 4 inches or the lots drift over really bad this can very quickly double my route time and I usually call in another truck to help get everything cleaned up.
  2. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I have been doing it more this year than previous years. Tired of going home and restlessly tossing and turning when I know i need to be up soon. Turn my phone off and try to get comfortable and set the alarm. Isnt great but at least I can check out conditions by waking up and looking around in a hurry.
  3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

About every 18 hours or until I can't tell if I'm moving or not,whichever comes first.
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I will stop and snooze if I need to. It's usually around 2 or 3 am that I need it. Tip the seat back as far as I can, put the fan on high and set the alarm for 30 - 45 minutes. I usually feel much better afterwards.
  5. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 PlowSite Fanatic

I know by about 5 am whether or not I have enough time, it depends on when the snow ends.

If I just flat out cannot operate anymore, then I stop anyways.

After 9 am, I have to wait for 2 hours for checkout at a hotel where there's an apartment I plow next door. I'll take a nap then at the local Target parking lot.
  6. bigc1301

bigc1301 Senior Member

ussually work till we cant tell whats forward or reverse. Then hour or two
  7. Derrick in NJ

Derrick in NJ Member

I took a couple of 30 minute "power naps" during our last back to back blizzard events. Thought it was necessary when I was starting to see 2 or 3 of everything, lol! Nice thing about plowing with a full size SUV, sleeping quarters are built in!:D
  8. jkiser96

jkiser96 Senior Member

I usually go until I start seeing things jump in front of the truck or see things behind me when I am in a wide open lot. I try to find a dark place & shut lights off & set the alarm for maybe an hour later. It is amazing what a short power nap can do. I love my regular cab trucks but when it comes nap time I sure do wish I had a crew cab.
  9. gottaluvplows

gottaluvplows Senior Member

Yeah just like everyone else said its not good to be up 26 hours straight so i usually get a good 1 or 2 hr nap in.
    Sleeping in the back of the truck(CREW CAB!!!) isnt too bad. (its no where close to as cozy as the big bed at home but..) Im always prepared I got the cover and Pillow in the back and a few flashlights, a power inverter for a mini tv (battery powered Mostly) Then the tool bag of course.:mechanic:

Sorry jkiser96!
    lol im just playin'
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  10. NCat496

NCat496 Senior Member

I wish somehow you could push thoes seatbelt latches down because it really makes it hard to get comfortable in the truck with them things poking you in the back and a**.
  11. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I nap when needed. In the truck, sometimes in the lot I'm plowing.
  12. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

I don't nap cuz I'll sleep for hours if I need to sleep I'll come home and sleep on the couch. I have slept in my truck only once and it was summertime. If I had to tho, I keep the back bench clear and room for me to fold up my coat as a pillow
  13. Tosa93F250

Tosa93F250 Member

Never slept in my truck during a storm.

I have taken short 20-30 minute naps while waiting for people. Don't usually bother moving to the back even though it would be slightly more comfortable. I can fold the center arm rest up and sleep across the front seats. That's the nice part about only being 5'6" tall. I can lay out completely flat prop my head up on the arm rest on my door in the front. If I get in the back seat I can lay out flat and still have room on either end.
  14. JDiepstra

JDiepstra PlowSite.com Addict

There is a back seat in your reg cab? :p
  15. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

All my work is in town. I keep going until the storm is done. Sleep at home, set the alarm as required , check the weather networks and radar , just like Im doing tonite/morning.
  16. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

During big storms, I have my 2 plow drivers work in shifts. It has been working out great. I usually don't get a rest, but I can force myself to work. I can't force somebody else to work. This system has been working out great for me this year. I learned the hard way during the first storm.
  17. Sno4U

Sno4U Senior Member

Finally managed to get our sh&t together this year. for the most part we can run our routes and get a 3-4 hour reprieve. eat,nap and back out at it being "fresh". Couldn't do it doing the storm b/f last though; one of my workers decided to tear the uni mount off the GMC-laying on a wet garage floor welding it back on (twice) is NOT fun!:mad:
  18. Skid Mark

Skid Mark Member
    from ny

I'll sleep when i'm dead:nod:
  19. Mvplc2010

Mvplc2010 Junior Member

it depends on the time of day and how long ive been going. if we start running at like 8 to 10 at night i usually will put my seat back for a half hour or so by five thirtyish that way its still dark and i cant get a little rest to help me get through the day
  20. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

A catnap in the truck is no big deal and we don't stop until we are done.