1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sleeping before an evnt?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Young Pup, Dec 9, 2005.

1. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

Ok guys, Need some tips on how to get some sleep before going out. I tried to but just could not get any rest. Basically I was up from Thursday morning to Friday afternoon. I know that is not good should I take some sleep aids in the afternoon before the storm? But I would think that would make you to groogy to be out plowing. Any suggestions would highly be appreciated.

Thanks,

JP

2. EJK2352

EJK2352 Senior Member

I don't have an answer for you, but I hope someone does. I can't sleep if there is snow in the forecast either.

3. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I try to get the family to give me a little break from the chaos and noise so I can sleep. I remember last year at about this time we got a storm and I was up for 41 hours on 2 1/2 hours of sleep. When I finally got to bed I went down hard (about 14 hours). I can't sleep the night before also. No matter what I am thinking of the things that I have to do. It seems like later in the season I start sleeping better. I wonder if that is just becuase I don't giva crap anymore or what. What I hate is when I do get to sleep if I sleep through my alarm.

4. Young Pup

Young Pup PlowSite Fanatic

41 hours? I was not even close to that. Mine was about 30 hours. I do know that I will sleep tonight hopefully.

5. DJL

DJL Senior Member

If you know the storm is going to start Thursday night or in the am friday just make sure you go to bed normal time on wed night...but get up at about 4-5 in the morning. Then, take a few hours before the storm. that gives me 24 hours fairly easily...with the coffee additives of course.

6. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

later in the season i am able to sleep better but in the beginning, it is diffucult if not impossible for me to sleep.

7. fms

fms Senior Member
    from Maine

Sleeping pills and scotch.

8. clncut

clncut PlowSite.com Addict

Sleep was non existant last night also for myself. Worked at the F.D and was busy as hell with BS calls from people who forget how to drive in snow. NO SLEEP. Midnight I had coverage come in and plowed from 12:30 to 11 Am, snowblower to a shyt halfway through the day, had to hand shovel walks:realmad: came home crashed till bout 6, went back out and cleaned up a little from City plows. No sleep, being sick and a 6 week old lil girl hungry all the time is not a good combination! Time for healthy dose of Nyquil and off to bed!

9. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

Its not going to happen, no sleep before a storm, just laying in the family room looking out the bay window. Just waiting for the right time, afraid if I fall asleep I would get up in time. Man Im tired I have about 2.5 hrs sleep for the last 2 days. Im headed to bed.:sleeping:

Regards Mike

10. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I cant ever sleep before storms and the more I say i'm going to the more sleep I will lose. I remember last year between 2 days we had about 14" and it was kinda spaced out over like 3 snowfalls....and I had to work 2 night shifts at the P.D. too, so I went a total of 64 hours with no sleep.:dizzy:

11. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Thursday I went to sleep around 10 and got up at 2am. I got home from plowing at 3:30pm. I felt fine until the last two houses, then I came home and slept for 14 hours. lol

12. blk90s13

blk90s13 PlowSite.com Addict

some nyquil would be cheaper if you ask me

13. qualitylawncare

qualitylawncare Senior Member

Hope it gets better for you..

I've gone up to 8 days with no more than 14 hours of sleep total..

Talk about tired!

I normally sleep in the morning (6-7am to 12-2pm). That way I'm awake enough for an overnight event and I can do a second round until 4-5pm the next day and not be tired. Anything less than 40hrs awake doesn't bother me anymore.

My biggest problem with sleeping in the early morning is my phone ringing..:gunsfiring: And of course, being the dedicated snow professional that I am, I allow my customers to call me with nonsense bull crap 24hrs a day, 7 days a week..

14. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

30 hours....Are you kidding me. Thats nothing, thats a normal snow event around here. :rolleyes: If you have that much trouble sleeping maybe you should see a doctor. :nod:

15. ECS

ECS Senior Member

Try eating a turkey sandwich, some yogurt or some warm milk or all three. The protien in them is a natural body relaxer. When you get up to start, take a good B Complex vitimin or some bee polen and you will be set for hours.

16. RHarrah

RHarrah Member

Sexual intercourse as needed for the males!

17. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

hahahhahahahahaha :drinkup: good idea, and of course right now I don't have a girlfriend:angry:

18. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I got a whole 1.5 hours before this storm (fixing sub's trucK, since he doesn't have a welder) the two nights before 4 hours each. I almost fell asleep driving home. Thank God Clark (kubota operator) was awake and screamed at me when I went across the double yellow towing the kubota. I was lucky no one was coming the other way.

19. lorentzlawnsnow

lorentzlawnsnow Senior Member

this last snow i got 1.5 hrs in a 48 hr period. no matter how tired i am. i can jump in my plow truck and be wide awake again. last night i got home around midnight and felt like i could have gone all night again. as far as sleeping before the storm. i had intentions to, but was working on trucks for another company to get them ready and just never had the time to lay down. all in all, good money for time spent awake and sleep lost motivates you to stay up.

20. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Ya, I can't sleep much before an event either. I just try to make sure that I am well rested at the start of the season. Once we get into winter a bit I get tired enough that I can sleep any time. I average about 4-5 hours of sleep a night all winter so that puts me in the truck for about 18 hours a day. Doesn't take long before I am sleeping at any opportunity. Been doing this long enough though that if I have to stay awake for a couple of days I can. I just start stroking off day until April when we are done and then I let me body shut down for a couple of weeks to recoup.