1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Sleep Policy in agreements?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by Clapper&Company, Oct 22, 2007.

1. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I have been out plowing for 36 hours before, not a big deal.

But with the one storm we had last year, we were out for about 4-5 days. Its unsafe, and we had to sleep some. Dose any of you guys have any thing in your agreements, where on big snow falls, you reserve the right to stop work to sleep?

Thanks

2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

NO.

Take a snooze in the truck.If its snowing that bad they'll never know.

sleep.jpg

3. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I can't even imagine asking someone if they'd be fine if I slept while they get snowed in. That's crazy talk...

4. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Maybe you can hire someone to work while you sleep.

5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

I don't write anything in, but when it gets to a point of unsafe (18+ hours), people need a break. Truck drivers can't go that long, at that point you are risking serious incidents (negligence on your part). You have to go sleep.
    People understand when there's a blizzard. Even the city/county/state guys take a break.

I think as long as you didn't oversubscribe your truck. (i.e. you have 18 hours of work on a 2" storm), and you get a massive blizzard, that you start rotating people off to go and get some sleep at the 10 to 12 hour mark (5 to 6 hours) so that way you still have some coverage at all times.

None of this would I write down. People just want their lots cleared, they don't want to know how you or your company does it.

If there is that much snow, no one is coming into work anyway. (except hospitals, etc)

6. Vaughn Schultz

Vaughn Schultz PlowSite.com Addict

Find some els to help you, or learn to stay up :p

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If you go home and have a shower and grab 3 hours sleep, you will be more productive when you wake and far make up for the 3 hours you missed. A lot of things seem to happen when your tired and if it's that bad, everwhere is a mess just not your places. Safety first IMO. When you get larger it's easier to rotate, then when your a one or two truck show.

8. snyps

snyps Senior Member

I think you just need to use some common sense with it, but have a plan before you get in that situation. I mean if you are that tired, and have to devise a plan.. Good luck.. Your brain will not want to make good decisions at that point.

During our october storm last year I wasn't home for 3 or 4 days, I forget how long exactly. I will tell you that I slept in my truck when I needed to, and had a second change of clothes that I would rotate at my parents house (They had a generator so they did laundry for me) and a quick shower twice a day. Everyone I worked with staggered breaks... it worked well, and all and all we got through it.. I remember after I got power back, I think I slept for a week.

9. dakotasrock

dakotasrock Senior Member
    from MN

sleep is overrated

10. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

Get out of the truck and shovel some walks. Get some excersise. Some fresh air! That'll wake you up. :D

11. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

until you fall asleep at the wheel and kill somebody get sued and loose your business.

12. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

I pull all my trucks in ussally around 7-9 pm, then start over at 2-3 am. Let the guys take them home. We don't service any thing requireing service durring those times (bars, etc) people in this area are used to snow. Even most towns follow a similiar procedue here (cut back & only do main lines between those hours). There is no point to service a client so they can get stuck in the road.

13. TwistedMetal

TwistedMetal Member

There is no point to service a client so they can get stuck in the road......good point RLM

14. AbsoluteH&L

AbsoluteH&L Senior Member

Ohh So True!!! Sorry but your not going to find me sleeping in the bed of my truck.BBRRRRR!!! Last year we had a few good ones here. St pattys for one. :drinkup: that was a PITA. I know we had worse snowfall than that, I just remember St pattys more. Lets just say I had other things planned that day.:cry:

15. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Amen. Well said.

Ditto. Well said.

36 hours is insane and stupid. I alluded to this in the other thread, but you are more of liability in your truck than someone slipping and falling in a parking lot from a naturally occuring condition while you got a quick nap.

Legally, you are only allowed 11 hours of driving time, 14 hours overall in a non-CDL vehicle, that is for any commercial vehicle, and yes, if you are driving a pickup with a plow, it is a commercial vehicle, like it or not.

If you have sites that require 24/7 care, then you better have someone to help you out. Otherwise, people need to figure out that it has been snowing for a few thousand years, and they can live with it while you're sleeping for a couple hours. Some of you guys act like your customers won't be able to live if there's 2" of snow on their driveways. Educate them and be safe.

16. Clapper&Company

Clapper&Company PlowSite Veteran
    from NE OHIO

I agree that we need to sleep, I just wanted some input on how you guys played the sleep game.

I run 2 Pickups and a Dump. Most of our clients understand, but you always get a few PITA's that dont think you need sleep.

We service a few old folk's homes that want service 24/7 in case something happens.

If we stop at 8:30p and Go back out at 2a. thats 5.5 hours.

By the time you Pull the trucks in so they can melt off, Go in Shower Eat and wine-down, there an 1- 1.5 so you only get 4.5 hrs at the most and your back at it.

Some times it just dosen't seem like you get much sleep at times.

But I love snow payup payup :waving:

17. topdj

topdj Senior Member

ya Id have to get home and get some sleep ? problem is I have a hard time if the wife is there:D :D :D [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 2, 2007
  18. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Sleep? That is what summer is for :D

Firstly, I make a point of making sure that I get various kinds of work so I have some that gets done early and some during the day. I like to have at least one extra truck sitting around ready to go. I have one or two buddies that can help out if needed but mostly just me and my main guy are out there. Average shift is about 18 hrs, have been into the 30's a couple of times. We sleep in the trucks (ext cabs) for a few hours now and then but I have been doing this for 15 years and can pull off a 22-24 hr shift easily. Average night's sleep for me is about 4 hrs in the winter. Plow, sleep a bit, plow more, sleep a bit, sanding, sleep a bit, check plowing, sleep a - oh crap it snowed again. Repeat :nod:

19. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

I find one of that hardest things is waiting to go out, you know it is going to snow and so you cant get to sleep because your like a kid waiting to get out there... are we there yet are we there yet. My dad and I and we have 2 hired hands. We take turns calling the shots. So we know its going to snow and we will have to go out I hit the hay and he calls me, that way I am well rested and once we get going if its running long then he goes for some sleep and I keep going. We find it works otherwise we are both on the edge of our seats waiting to go and no one gets any rest before. One of the best things we ever did was pay the girls at the drive thru 24 hour coffee, to call us if it starts snowing. One incase anything ever happened we get that call no matter if we are already out and 2 we usually head to grab a coffee anyways. Last year we both had to be out of town for an event and it was sappose to snow(lake effect town), so we rigged up a webcam shooting out the window, with a ruler screwed to a board, that I could log into from the laptop and see. We had to leave the event to come plow but it was such an awesome idea.

20. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Now that is clever.

I like the webcam thing too, have thought of it myself but never put it together. I live about 20 minutes away from the city where we plow and the weather is not always the same. Sometimes I am late getting in because didn't snow at my house and other times, I go peeling in and call the guys just to find there is no work :cry: