1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"Slammin" Ford

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by ChevYooper, Dec 3, 2007.

1. hey guys,

i have a 91 f250 w/ the 351W.....truck runs good but idles a little high.

My question is why does this truck slam into reverse but no other gear.

If i start the truck and let her warm up, put it in drive no problems.
    If i start the truck and go from Park to Reverse, it slams in hard.
    The truck slams into reverse every time it put it in from D to R but even harder if i go from P to R.....

Is this a trans problem or an engine problem

2. bump....:help:
  3. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The idle could be too high? Check the accelerator cables, the cruise control cable can come out of it's holder. Then it will not let the throttle return fully. Might look at your U-Joints too. Could be the drive shaft "thunking" and not the rear end. Any squeaking in reverse? Dry U-Joints will do it in reverse.
  4. R&R Repair

R&R Repair Junior Member

Possibly the throttle position sensor. If you loosen the screws holding it on it may have some adjustment on it or you can take it off and elongate the holes. This will also adjust your idle speed. If this doesn't help try a new sensor they're only like 20-30 bucks if that. But like someone said earlier check the u-joints. Make sure the truck is in neutral when you do so to make sure there's no load on the shaft.
  5. thanks guys, ill check those out.

no squeak in reverse, but ill check the u-joints.

I'll have to look into the TPS trick (i have to take the t-body off to get to it i think)

the idle is at like 1400 so i think that twice as high as it should be....am i doing damage (i think it cant be too healthy)

Thanks guys
  6. idle

You should not have to adjust the throttle

Get this on a Ford tester and scan the engine

I found my timing off by 7degs on my 95 351W.

Also, does the speedo work?
    I once blew a fuse that does the cruise and the speedo.
    Very hard shifting all the way home and hardly noticed the speedo
    while I worried about the shifting.
    It was just the fuse.

What ever you do--dont attempt to adjust the idle.
    The idle is high because of another problem...
  7. 92XT

92XT Senior Member

u-joints are slappin & clappin son.............
  8. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

The repair manual will have check out procedures for the EFI components.Most all you need is a volt omn meter to test. Some need a vacuum / gage tester. One quick thing to test is your fuel pressure regulator. It's on the fuel injector rail with a vacuum line attached to it. With the truck running pull off the vacuum line. The idle should speed up. Make sure you have vacuum to that line when it's running. The idle air controls go bad all the time too. I have replaced it and the throttle position sensor. <--- The T.P.S. is not adjustable it's kind of a pain to replace too. Check you vacuum reservoir,if it's the metal can type it may be rusted out and not holding vacuum. Look at all your vacuum lines too.
  9. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

how did you come to that explanation?
  10. 351w

looks like the man owns a 351W

Wish I could take better notes for future referance