1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skytrack with big push box?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Barrakudaman, Sep 14, 2010.

1. Barrakudaman

Barrakudaman Member

Does anyone think this would be a good idea? I could use a skytrack during the summer for jobs, but would it be any good for pushing snow. I have seen one used before. You can get them with a cab and heat, they are heavy and 4-wheel drive. Just a thought rather than a backhoe or loader. OR the bobcat V518 versahandler. Thanks in advance

2. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I don't think I've ever seen those type of material handlers (with an extendable boom) pushing snow before, but I bet it would work.

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Jay Brown on here with a Gehl with a plow on it..

4. deicepro

deicepro PlowSite.com Addict

I have seen a few in action, but never had the pleasure, saw one scooping and dumping over a fence with the boom out

5. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I talked with a dealer about using one and they said there was a good possibility of bending or tweaking the arm. They just aren't designed to push snow.

I would probably use one to relocate piles but that's about it.

6. Barrakudaman

Barrakudaman Member

Or would money be better spent on a bobcat skidloader and a push box for commercial lots. skytracks are pretty fast for going down the road.

7. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

A 2-speed skid does pretty well in high gear. 12 mph isn't bad if you aren't going too far.

8. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

Kuda, Very common here in SE Minnesota. Mostly bobcat (they have a common qwick tatch I think,) also terex maybe. They are great for the mall or walmart cuz the operator can shove the snow about 600 feet in the air ! ! ! If you're in construction it'd be a handy unit, here, I think they just rented them for the season

9. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Whichever can be used in the off season may make the most sense,

10. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

the one CTA station (train) out here uses a LULL to clear the snow in their lot. they have some goofy plow type thing rigged up on it. its a decent size lot and they woudnt use it if it was no good im assuming cause they have tons of other equipment at their disposal. im sure a skidloader with a box would work better but doesnt do much good if you have no use for it in the offseason.

11. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

If you use one to push snow with , just make sure your pushing with the boom all the way in. It's won't be a problem with twisting then. I have never had the pleasure, but have always wanted to try one. They have enough horse power to push a 12 or 14 foot box without thinking twice, and can you even imagine how high your stacks would be? You could put 2 acres of snow in a single parking space lol.

12. EvenCutLawnCare

EvenCutLawnCare Senior Member

WWHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAATT? 600 Feet? How does that work?

13. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

OK like 25 to 35 feet

14. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

I've never seen a large one plow commercial small ly (like a 36' +) but noticed a small JCB at a local WM last year. Word was it was the only decent piece left for a winter lease when the WM contracts were finally awarded..............:rolleyes:

15. asps4u

asps4u Senior Member

Last season I saw one used for a large Costco lot. Seemed to do a good job. Don't know if it did any damage to the machine or not though.

16. Barrakudaman

Barrakudaman Member

The Bobcat versahandlers do accept regular bobcat attachments which is cool. I am gonna see how my first season goes with my f-350 and a blizzard 810. If it seems like there is more money to be made with a machine like that, then I'll have to get one. It would make some framing jobs in the summer go way easier too. Thanks for all the input, just wanted to know if anyone else had seen one used before.