1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

skidsteers

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by slplow, Dec 19, 2002.

1. slplow

slplow PlowSite.com Veteran

Ok, what skidsteers brands are junk? I am looking to buy a used one soon. So far I have driven bobcats , the newer jds and a scat trak.( I did not like the scat)

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

Whell the longer wheel base models are not as tipsy.The JD's and NH are easy to do maintence.The tomhas is a simple design.If your gonna get bobcat go for the 773 or the new s185 NH the LS170, JD 250 model.I thing it all comes down to wich one you are comfertable running and Cat is supose to be good too.Scat trac is going to be gone soon and will be turned into the new volvo line.

3. paul soccodato

paul soccodato Senior Member

get a new holland. you wont be dissapointed

4. hillworks7669

hillworks7669 Junior Member

you might want to check into Gehl I bought one with a two speed option, instead of top speed of 8.5mph it is 13.5mph, I thought that was a huge advantage. After all speed is the name of the game.

5. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I've got the Cat 248 and LOVE it! They've made improvements since I bought mine, so their better yet. My second choice would be one of the Case XT models.

6. SLC1

SLC1 Senior Member

We have a Cat 226 and love it, it is so easy to teach or learn how to run and very smooth. Love the machine, look into the Cats you will not be dissipointed. Just my two cents

7. Temco

Temco Member

I have a Bobcat S185 which I like a lot, very easy to operate but if you do decide on Bobcat, get the 2 speed option coz their slow as s*#t.

8. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

I'm in the middle of buying a new one too...

I would insist upon joystick controls. I have found alot less fatigue than what I call "rowing the boat"

One thing to consider is how they hold their value. I don't think Bobcat brand holds their value at all. Look at the used market and check prices.

I vote for a Cat. They will be their forever. The service points on the 246 where fantastically easy to reach. I vote for the two speed option if you are going to drive it between jobsites to.

Financing right now is fantastic. Soft market, plenty of suppliers. Don't be afraid to haggle and look for the best deal. I was quoted 3.9 for 60 months NO money down on 246 fully optioned with a blizzard plow and an extended warranty for 36k 700 a month.

9. slplow

I forgot to mention that I am looking at 1500 lbs machines. I have looked at the gehls and the engine compartment is nice and open. I have seen the thamas line. They look nice and at a base around 15k is cheap but cheap may not be good.

10. TurfPlus

TurfPlus Senior Member

I like the NH but after our 885 was stolen we rented a Case 85XT until we settled with the insurance co. I was amazed at the power and comfort and no annoying hydro whine like our LS180. Next demo is CAT.

11. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

You'll be surprised at how quiet the Cats are, with the side windows closed you really don't need hearing protection, they're that quiet.

I ran my friend's new New Holland 190, that machine is very noisy in comparison. The engine is loud and the hydro motors make such a whine, you have to have hearing protection to run the machine for any length of time.

12. 66Construction

66Construction Senior Member

I agree the LS180 is very noisy, We have a radio in ours and you have to turn it up so loud to hear it gives you a head ache. Pelican is dead on if you'e in it all day you have to have ear protection.

It is a work horse though. We run it 6-7 days a week moving every thing and anything. It also pushes a 12' Protec.
    Casey

13. Team_Yamaha

Team_Yamaha Senior Member

I had a John Deere 250 until about 4 months ago. Then I bought my new Bobcat S250 with 2 speed, A/C, heat, and vertually every option expect high flow hydralics. The 250 is a nice machine, but the rated 1700-1800 lbs capacty was just a bit too small for lifting pallets of singles, concrete block, and ect. Also when I bought the 250, A/C wasn't an option but was something that I wanted very badly. My father has had John Deeres, New Hollands, Gehls, Cases and Bobcats, neither of us has tried out a Cat yet, I think the price is scaring us away from that. But they sound like great machines. He keeps coming back to Bobcat after tring out the other brands new toy and options for a couple years. He now has a S185, S250, S300, T-190, and a Posi Trac (I think thats what the brand is, the last of the name got scrapped off a couple years ago)

14. DYNA PLOW

DYNA PLOW Senior Member

bought a used 93 j.d. 675b skidloader in april actually it's made buy new holland in those years, new tires 1675hrs paid 7100.00.
    has been an excellent machine so far. ya the new machines are great but holy s##t batman are they pricey. there are alot of good used machines out yet with a lot of life left.
    dan

15. slplow

Well I planed on buying used but just put a deposit on a brand new 153 thomas with cab and heat . With a $1,500. rebate it,s coming in at $14,250. plus tax. It's also coming with a 5 yr drive train warranty. The dealer is where I buy my walker mowers from so I now that they have good service Department.
    I looked at a few used 751 and 753 s.Also a daewoo and a jd240. all nice machines. Wanted to look at a NH but none for sale in the want ads. The ranges in price were $10,000 - $16,000 with 1200 hrs to 3400hrs on them.

16. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

slplow Have you used the Thomas before or know off any one thats one?I looked at one at the mascon show that they had there.The one question i had was the oil it uses just one type.What if you rent a attachment that has hydraulic fluid instead of regular oil? The one I looked at seamed very nice easy to maintain and had a thick steel plate that the engine mounted on. It was running about $19K or so last year at the show .I would like to know how you like it when you get it.

17. slplow

CAT, the sales man said you can put any thing on it that other skides can use but sales men don't allways now every thing like they should. When I get it I will you know how I really like. So far in the 2 hr test run I thought it was pretty nice. I also liked how easy it looked to work on. Also notice alot less electrical crap than the bobs. The only thing I wish it had was a longer wheel base.
    It looks like im going to be the guinea-pig on this one.

18. Temco

Temco Member

I borrowed a friends New Holland once when mu Bobcat was down for service and although I thought it was a more durable machine (could lift more weight and higher) the vibration shook the proverbial crap out of me....I could never be in a machine like this for too long, maybe it was just a lemon coz i've never tried another one.

19. slplow

Well, I have put 10 hrs in the driver seat moving and stacking snow. So far I think it's great .

20. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

slplow, what's the horsepower and weight rating of that machine?