1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by crashz, Jan 21, 2004.

1. crashz

crashz Senior Member

I have a few questions for you skidsteer and landscape guru's.

I'm possibly looking for a skidsteer to remove snow with during the winter and to rent out (with operator) during the summer. My father had an old John Deer, which I ran almost exclusively before he sold it. So I have some experience and I have my hydraulics license, so operating it will not be a problem.

My questions are:

1) I have a full time engineering job, which I don't want to give up. Would work during the spring and summer only on weekends be availible? Would local landscapers need somebody only on Saturdays or after five to move material? The machine could be used by my father's company, but I'd rather keep it with me on the weekends. This area seems flooded with landscapers, who for the most part just cut grass. Would offering bobcat service to them as well as home owners be a desired service?

2) I want to tow it with my current truck, a 2001 F150. The truck is rated to tow 5000 lbs. So it has to bee relatively small, around 4000 lbs. Bobcat has a nice machine, a 535, which is small enough to easily tow. But in used equipment, all I see are the 753's which look like a great machines, but a little big. Could I go with a machine as big as the 753?

3) I would like to get a used machine to keep the costs down. obviously I will not be relying on it every day, so price is more of an issue than size and name brand. What do you guys recomend? There is a Mustang dealer nearby, do you think they are a decent machine?

4) Would I need insurance and what kind? Obviously I don't want to purchase contractor's insurance just to run the machine on Saturdays. If the machine is financed, will I need special insurance? What about storing it? Any issues with parking it in my driveway? I wouldn't think so as long as my neighbors didn't complain and it was covered with a tarp.

Sorry about the long post!
  2. Landscape80

Landscape80 Senior Member

May get work from some landscapers, test the waters first, advertise and see how much business you can get...start by renting, it's cheaper for you, if you get enough work, then buy or rent to own one. Saw an F-150 this past summer with a 753 on the trailer, so it must pull O.K. Also.....most important! Do not buy a smaller machine because of the weight requirements, you will end up compromising your services and charging less for them...think about it...if you charge $65/hr with the small machine and a job will take 3 hours, thats $195.....but if someone else has a bigger machine and charges $70/hour and can get it done in less than half the time and will charge $140......naturally they will get the job, not you. This is just my opinion, and I hope that it helps you.

Meadowbrook Landscaping
  3. Landscape80

Landscape80 Senior Member

Also....Mustangs are good machines.....ran one over the summer, I liked it better than any of the other skid loaders that I have run so far. If you live in a tight development, rest assured that you're neighbors will *****, a machine is a lot different than a truck, even a trailer is pushing it. As far as insurance, get it, whether you will run it 40 hrs a week or 4 hrs a week, when you don't have it, you will need it, if you have it, you may not need it, but at least it's there. I don't know about financing insurance, I would think that you would need some in case the thing is stolen or burns up or whatever. Hope this helps too.

Meadowbrook Landscaping