1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skidsteers

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by KMBertog, Dec 9, 2010.

1. KMBertog

KMBertog PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Guys

I know you all have seen the machines just sitting in the shop/yard before the season... I know some of you wanted action shots, so here are some from the first push of the season.

More snow expected this weekend in Chicago! payup

100_9601.jpg

100_9590.jpg

100_9604.jpg

2. Subseven

Subseven Member

You need an Erskin blower. I can do 82 residential Driveway in about 2-3 hours with the one on the Cat. Homeowner's Assoc. of course.

3. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

nice set of pics. how many drives do you do in that complex? looks like full house type condos you just leave 1 machine there during storms?

4. KMBertog

they're three different complexes that you see in the pictures. The first picture is about 30 homes in a private complex. the second picture is about 60 homes in a private complex. the third is 25-30 homes in a private complex.

just one machine at each site. plow the roads with trucks and leave the machines for the drives.

5. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

definatly a good way to do it easier to manuver machine than a truck in the drive ways

6. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I'd agree, now I know why my skiddy plows have been sitting for years.

However, Subseven; I'm assuming you run the skid loader & blower yourself?
    Grow a little bigger, get a few skids and blowers, put guys in them, take a few calls about clogged or jammed up shuts,(& impellers) broken hydo lines, (since they have many)
    bent blowers, cracked housings, guys that haven't a clue on how to use a blower,(but they are good at running a skid) a broken down machine that you need the dealer to have a hi-flow as a replacement but they don't, you need a back up machine that has a electric control kit, but the dealer doesn't have one available, etc. etc. etc.

And: that is why most people don't run skiddy's and blowers.

7. R.G.PEEL

R.G.PEEL 2000 Club Member
    from Toronto

I agree, my skids have pushers and plows. I have a blower as well and in the right applications it shines. It can stack and load trucks far more quickly than buckets but in the hands of the wrong operators, its a headache. When the blower comes out, its only me or one of the more experienced guys that runs it.

8. paponte

paponte Senior Member

Very nice! you can't beat a machine for driveways.

9. Dan85

Dan85 Senior Member

The looks like the right tool for the job!

What's the talk among your operators; do they like the Deere or the New Holland skids better?

10. Subseven

Subseven Member

Naaaa. Our Erskine had one leak one time. We called our rental guy who is a buddy...and he came right out with parts at about 11 PM. Our Cats (we have 4...3 with pushers) don't break down. Neither do our 944G's or our Takauchis (we used to sell salt so we loaded contractors...then put on the pusher and did a complex right next door) I did run it a lot one season though. At that time we'd still have out 2 Topkicks, 4 F350's, and 4 other hired trucks out too. Most of the time I am busy in the orchestration department. Billed out almost 600K last winter. Yeah...we got game too. :drinkup:

PS...I do hear you about these "expert" operators though. That's why I had to run it. We had 2 different guys scrape the heck out of some driveways cross ways at the bottoms one year. Never once did they hurt our equipment though.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  11. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

Are you the owner or an employee?

12. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Your so humble, that's a great atttibute................... :rolleyes:

BTW, the OP probably operates 3-5 times the equipment that your brother does..............

13. snocrete

snocrete Banned

he hehe.

BTW, cool pics Keith...as always!!! I have a couple HOA's that I have considered putting a SS on. They are such an efficient tool in the right hands. Currently we are doing them with trucks.....But I know if I were running the skid, I could do the work of 3 trucks.

Is that humble enough for you Joe?

14. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

That's not too bad for you Mike, at least you didn't mention the "B" word once in that post................... :laughing:

BTW, that reminds me, what ever happened to your pal from Northern WI with the big truck tires on his skid?? Did you chase him away????? Thumbs Up

And to the OP, nice looking set-up's, they seem to do the job well.

15. Subseven

Subseven Member

Not to sound smug...but nothing humble about it. That Erskine and that Cat just don't break down often at all like was suggested it might. It's a SUPER combo. Period.

Our Erskine is for sale. Not because we don't like it though. It was bought for a specific contract. We did not renew it this year so it's for sale. Why let such an awesome piece sit? Does it take somebody that can use their head to operate it and great equipment to match? Heck yes it does!

And no offense at all...but I am not even sure that New Holland would run it. wesport

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  16. snorider075

snorider075 Senior Member

keith nice looking fleet as always

17. KMBertog

Thanks Snorider!!! Hope you have a fantastic winter! :drinkup:

18. KMBertog

Thank you!

Just wait until I snag a couple of pics from one of the SnoWolf FastTach boxes we have :waving:

19. KMBertog

The Deere skids we loan for the winter from another landscape contractor in the area. The New Hollands are all owned by us. I will say, the New Hollands are favorable amongst the operators. Maybe because they are used to the controls more so than the Deeres? Anyway, we get along just fine :nod:

20. KMBertog

30 Dump Trucks
    34 Pick Ups
    7 Shovel Crew Vans
    5 Supervisor’s Trucks
    31 Skid Steer Loaders
    7 Wheel Loaders
    3 Sidewalk Tractors

Check out our website for more info. www.bertoglandscape.com