1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skidsteers with chains on front tires WHY?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rich414, Feb 16, 2012.

1. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

why do people, or you, install chains on skidsteers front tires??
    my chains are on the rear tires because 1. that is where all the weight is. 2. if you have down pressure on the implement the front tires are off the ground.:mechanic:
  2. bigz64

bigz64 Junior Member

if you are lifting close to your capacity the front tires will have more down pressure and almost none on the rear tires, i move entire trees with my skid steer and grapple and you can feel all the weight is in the front, but for plowing its rear

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

More traction! Depending on what you are doing you might have more weight on the front or the rear tires and if you are just plowing without any down pressure you will have all 4 tires biting in
  4. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

I could see chaining all 4 but never seen just the front. I rarely chain up but when I do its rear only.
  5. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

I think chains on the front would become more important when you are stacking such as in a large parking lot. A bucket full of snow will transfer your weight forward and your front tires are likely to be in the stack.
  6. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Honestly, I've only seen them on the rears. Why would you need or want them while stacking? When we went to Baltimore a couple years ago my tires were bald as can be and the roads were all hard pack and ice and I still got through it just fine. We did try to put chains on and they lasted about 6ft then broke....both sets! Thankfully Bobcat replaced them, they're not cheap.