1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skidsteer Trailer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Dynatech, Dec 1, 2014.

1. Dynatech

Dynatech Junior Member

Looking for input on what size trailer should be used for a large Skidsteer (10,100lbs) being pulled behind a single wheeled f350... My two options that I'm looking at right now are a 24' triple axel goose neck and a 24' tandem duals gooseneck. I tried a tilt deck with tandem 7000lb axles and it seemed too small/light... (And I bent the lower rear tubing that rests on the ground...)

2. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Both of those are a bit overkill for a 10k pound machine in my opinion. However if it were me I'd go with the tandem over the triaxle unless you need to haul something exceptionally heavy.

3. PALS Landscapin

PALS Landscapin Senior Member

Overkill go buy a Brimar. I love mine.

4. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

I bought a Kaufman 20' equipment trailer, with the heavy duty upgrade, 15 k gwr.Very happy,built like a tank.

5. Dynatech

Dynatech Junior Member

Here is a couple pics with it on the tandem with 7k axles... just seemed too small to me, maybe I'm wrong. Im going to be pounding down lease roads in northern bc and they are rough, icy and narrow most of the time... Im thinking the gooseneck will be a little more controllable...

WP_20141129_004.jpg

WP_20141129_005.jpg

WP_20141129_006.jpg

WP_20141129_007.jpg

6. hellion

hellion Member

Tandem is gonna turn corners alot easier

7. Dynatech

Dynatech Junior Member

Im leaning towards this... room at the front for a tidy tank of diesel and a spare attachment if needed.

wp_ss_20141201_0005.jpg

8. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

It really depends on what you plan on doing with it....either way stay with a tandem.

IMG_0763.jpg

9. Dynatech

Dynatech Junior Member

Nice setup! How much does your skid steer weigh & how do you like the trailer?

10. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

You should get a tandem dual gooseneck with about 2k more GVWR than your F350 is rated for.
    I am thinking you have a 16k towing capacity with a gooseneck. So, an 18,000 lb gvw trailer. And IMO, you should get a DUMP trailer...why not have a trailer that can do it all?

11. Dynatech

Dynatech Junior Member

I agree a dump trailer would be awesome but to get one big enough would run in the $20k range... a little out of my price range for a trailer... I can pick up a tandem dual goose neck in the $9k range...

12. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Used. Even if you have to travel a ways. I see 20k lb trailers with little use for sale for 6 to 8 grand. Look around, you might get lucky.

13. Dynatech

Dynatech Junior Member

Right on... I'll do some looking...

14. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Get a tandem dual gooseneck. I love mine, wouldn't be without one.

If you can, get 12k axles with electric over hydraulic disc brakes. Far superior to the electric drum brakes.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. tbi

tbi Member
    from CNY

I've got a couple 15k kaufmans with a stationary front and tilting deck. For $5000 you can't go wrong. I've got a two yo briar that just pulls mowers and it's junk. Rusting from the inside out.

16. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You don't want a dump trailer for a machine that large if you move it regularly. Plus you'll most likely need a dual tandem and that's a deck over for a dump. I wouldn't do that

You can get 16k dump trailer but not sure on the capacity

17. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

SS weighs around 11,200 lbs. bare no attachments. The trailer has a 30' deck a G.V.W.R of 23,400 lbs., so after you subtract the weight of the trailer (7400 lbs. that leaves you 16,200 lbs.) and add my all my attachments, I'm about maxed out. That being said, I would not buy another Delta brand trailer again, quality control is lacking. The trailer functions fine does what I ask of it but would look at Cam Superline, Bri-Mar or TowMaster next time.

18. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

Just to add....I have the same machine and your're about 2,000lbs off. With a bucket like that you'll tip the scales over 12,000, and thats why its so hard on the smaller 14k equipment trailers. I'm planning to get a tandem dual when I can cut I'm looking at about $15,000 for one loaded up the way I want, in the brand I want.

19. Dynatech

Dynatech Junior Member

I went off of richiespecs weight but yeah I thought it was heavier when I saw what it did to that little trail tech tilt deck... Thanks for all the input guys, I am gonna go overkill... Buy a trailer once and be done with it... I'll post a pic when I pickup the new trailer.

20. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm very fond of my Brute trailer. Built tough but it's heavy (8800lb empty)
    It's a little shop out of Texas and they usually are a couple months lead time on a trailer since they are built as they are ordered.

At the farm we've had a Kaufman (Junk) a PJ, and a Big Tex. The PJ held up the best so far. The Big Tex is just over a year old, looks more like 5 years old.

Get one optioned up from the start, much easier then trying to add stuff to a brand new trailer and finding the time to do it.

Torque Tube
    Pierced Frame
    Pipe sections between the stake pockets on the rub rail
    Extra lights
    Enclosed chain box
    Side box for straps and ratchets
    Consider a winch or at least the provision for one
    12k axles
    Electric over hydraulic disc brakes
    Lift up center between the ramps if you only want two ramps. (Hyd. Dovetail is the cats meow though)
    Higher ply tires
    Deck over the neck (very handy for skid steer attachments)

And order a trailer at least 5' longer then you think you need. Mine is a 28' (23+5) and I'd say better then 60% of the time I use it, I wish it was a 34-36' trailer.

I could go on and on about what I've learned using my trailer and other trailers but order a nicer, longer, and heavier duty trailer then you think you'll need. You'll appreciate it in the end.

Edit. If you need a gooseneck hitch for your pickup, get a B&W.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2014