1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skidsteer trailer size

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Greenery, Sep 25, 2010.

1. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

Hey guys,
    Will a 16' trailer be long enough to fit a plow along with an s185 with snow bucket?

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Yes. Its tight, but can be done. Bucket may need to be loaded first, with attachment plate facing the tongue of trailer, then SS w/plow backed onto trailer.

3. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i wish i had some pics, but a friend of mine has his trailer set up (an 18 ft i believe) and carries all his attachements with him all the time, his auger and bits, forks, skid and bucket, and a cradle from the side for his plow too.

4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Yeah, It'lll fit tightly, thats what I have. I wish I would've bought a 20' & 12K instead of the 16' & 10K.

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

We have a 18ft low boy type trailer but we only have just the skid steer on there for now but I think with some creative thinking you'll be fine. If anyone needs a new trailer, let me know. A friend of mine sells GatorMade and gives great prices. Ours came with spare tire w/matching rim, heavier jack, tool box and wide spring assist ramps for just under 3k.

6. Jim15

Jim15 Member
    from MA

Only problem with a 12K trailer is you need a CDL. If your going to go any bigger than a 16' or 10k trailer your better off buying a 33k dump truck with a 20k trailer. Personally we used to have F350 dually's and tow a 763 with plow and bucket on 16' 10k trailers but we replaced our 1 tons every 2 to at most 3 years. Now we have an International 7400 6 wheeler with a 20k Eager Beaver trailer. 22' deck 6 foot tounge and 6 foot beaver tail. Much nicer ride even with a skidsteer and 4 ton excavator at the same time than towing a skid with a pickup.

About that trailer with the skid, bucket, auger, bits, forks, bucket, and plow all at the same time I hope its a 20k trailer. Tailers are rated just like trucks in GVW (Gross Vehicle Weight) which means the weight of the vehicle (in this case a trailer) included. We also have a 10k interstate trailer, which weighs about 2,800 pounds, which means the trailer can tow 7,200. If he has an S185, it weighs 6,220 that means he can carry roughly 1,000 pounds of attachments and I know for a fact all of those attachments combined are more than 1,000 pounds.

7. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy PlowSite.com Addict

no no no no no :cry:

Only if your combined GVW is over 26,000lbs.
    Which is NOT the case with a pickup and a 12k trailer.
    in fact, typically you can get up to a 16k trailer with a pickup (most pickups rate at 9900lbs for exactly this reason)

You might have to get a USDOT #, but you do NOT have to get a CDL to pull a 12k trailer with a pickup.

agree
    and you're never worried about being overweight.

8. Greenery

Greenery 2000 Club Member

Thanks for the replies guys, I pulled the trigger and am pretty pumped, An s185 with a couple attatchments and the trailer which is a 16 footer 15k lb rating for a pretty good deal. I'll be just under the limit for a cdl which is 26,000 combined weight.