1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skidsteer starting & glow plugs

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by CK82, Jan 29, 2009.

1. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

I was told by a skidsteer mechanic that I should wait until my glow plug light goes out in the cab before starting my machine when its cold out. Is this true? I know if it is really cold out I will have it plugged in and will definitely wait for a minute or more before turning it over. Is it bad for the glow plugs or the machine to start it before the light is out? Even when the engine is somewhat warm from being used the glow plug light generally stays on for more than a minute. Is it really necessary to wait that long before starting? I never really have had any problems starting my machine (Gehl 5640T) except when it was around zero and the outlet I had the engine block heater hooked up to didnt work.

Chris

2. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

you shouldnt be operating anything that runs in diesel if your seriouly askign this question

3. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

The block heater warms the block not the plugs. Tough to fire diesel fuel with cold plugs.

4. illiniplower

illiniplower Member

They put glow plugs and block heaters on diesels for a reason and if you dont understand how to use them, let dont be operating it or just be ready to have some engine work done.

5. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

I understand that when a machine is "plugged in" it is heating the block heater. I also understand that the glow plugs have to be hot to fire. I always turn the key over and let the glow plugs heat up, my question is do I need to wait until the glow plug light goes out before turning over my skidsteer? I always wait until the glow plug light goes out before turning it over on my dump truck, the only difference is that the skidsteer seems to take a few minutes longer even.

6. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Boy is everyone grouchy today? LOL

I would recomend waiting until the glow plug light goes of before starting

Some engines require glow plugs even in the summer

Or just listen to your mechanic or read your owners manual

Good luck:drinkup:

7. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Wait till the light goes out....

8. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

I wouldn't have put it that harsh but I guess nobody knows anything until they learn right??? But yes you should wait for the light to go off before starting! :salute:

9. cretebaby

We can forgive Elite he is a little stressed right know

10. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

haha yeah Im not saying anything against Elite by any means. Just dont wanna see another thread get closed lol :gunsfiring::gunsfiring::gunsfiring:

11. KAG

KAG Senior Member

Like everyone said it is best to wait for the preheat light to go out. With that being said most will cycle on all the way to 60F. Run some Lucas or Howes fuel treatment. I also run cetane boost in the winter as well.

The more you know about your diesel engine the better understanding you will have on what it needs to run good. No one learned all this over night. The first thing to figure out is what type of preheating system you have. Gehl were produced with Perkins and Cummins engines. I have on my equipment both block and oil pan heaters and when they are plugged in I just jump in and crank them over. Never a problem. But if they are not plugged in I always cycle the preheat and sometimes twice before starting.

Man I could be wrong because I do not know it all and I am not very versed in Gehl SS.

12. Snowaway

Snowaway Senior Member

Did your machanic say why you should wait. My old fishing boat had glow plugs, no light I would push and hold the button for 45 sec. But if it'll start on less, I have never heard of a reason why you should wait longer.

13. elite1msmith

from chicago

sorry i didnt mean it that harshley. I honestly thought it was a joke, especially that you have mahines

YES you do need to wait. hot and cold days alike... i think the engineers and the computer of the machine know alittle bit better than you or I about when it is ok to start the machine.

alittle diesel knowlege for you . Diesels dont use spark plugs to ignight the air/fuel mixture... they use the compression of the motor, to increase pressure, and increase temp. Then effectivly the fuel "self ignights" the glow plugs warm up the top of the cylinder using yoru electrical system . this creats a warm spot in the cylinder to aid in starting while the machine is cold.

not fully waiting, means the sylinder is not as warm as it could be. this will increase your cranking time, (hard on the starter over a long period), hard on the battery it will also casue excess fuel to be put in the cylinder by it cranking over and over with no combustion. i guess in some way that could be bad too it could be possible to spray so much that you get cylinder lock , but i have never heard of that happening

Not all diesels have glue plugs, cummis use an intake manifold heater to warm the air up before it enters the cylinder

14. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

yeah my bucket truck has no damn glow plugs and it really SUCKS! Thank god for the aftermarket block heater or I wouldnt be able to even think about starting it in the winter.

15. elite1msmith

from chicago

try having someone spray WD 40 down the intake... AFTER the TURBO if it has one... it works great, you cant use starting fluid on a diesel. WD does a good job, even helps lubricate the cylinder for faster cranking

16. CK82

CK82 Senior Member

Sounds good guys, thanks. By the way its a Deutz. Havent had any problems yet and I always have it plugged in when its outside and anywhere near freezing. I am trying to learn as much as I can about the business as well as my equipment by reading and asking questions. I believe thats why were all on this site.

Thanks again,
    Chris

17. jgoetter1

jgoetter1 Senior Member

Pretty dangerous to use ether to start a diesel motor, WD 40 or carb cleaner is safer and just as effective.

18. cretebaby

How does WD-40 work and why is it safer to use?

How do you get iy in the intake post turbo?

19. elite1msmith

from chicago

on my deere, there is a green rubber hose that connects the intake pipe to the turbo, losten it up and slide it down,,,then spray the wd 40 in

how the Wd works? umm take a spray can of it , spray it in the air and light it

20. nhpatriot

nhpatriot Senior Member

I have heard opinions from knowledgeable people both ways. My New Holland L185 leaves the glow plug light on for ever, and the pre-heater looks like 10 toasters ganged together. However, I am in a heated garage, and I only wait about 15 seconds and then start it, and it cranks over instantly. If you hear the starter cranking for any more than a second or two from turning it over before the glow plug light goes out, you may be causing unnecessary damage, but if it fires up right away, I say go ahead. I know some will argue with me, but this is my method.