1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

skidsteer snow tires

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by 350yddr, Jan 29, 2012.

1. 350yddr

350yddr Junior Member

There's an expense I didn't see coming. Brand new Cat 246C this year and the stock 12 16.5 are frustratingly bad. Can't imagine siping would better by much. From everything I've read options seem to be ss snow tires (not cheap). Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!?!

2. AuroraMSP

AuroraMSP Senior Member

robber27 likes this.
  3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I push through the storms with both of mine (they have the stock treaded tires) and don't have a problem with mine

4. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Go narrower as well. We just plowed today it is the first real snow we have had since I put the 10' pusher on our 873, it was pushing the snow with snow coming over the pusher, & the stuff was heavy snow, & slick underneath I was totally impressed. With stick 12x16.5, it often had a hard time of pushing the 8' angle plow. I'm only running a 7" wide snow tire, it seems to be really working though.

5. 350yddr

350yddr Junior Member

Thanks, spoke with them today and got some good info/pricing/availability etc... My son is the primary operator and for some reason yesterdays conditions weren't allowing traction. I was in it for 4 hrs in the am, and he experienced it in the afternoon. This is a trial season for us, renting the SS but purchased the Blizzard. Nice combination to be sure, just need a lot more snow to be profitable.

6. AuroraMSP

AuroraMSP Senior Member

I run the tires Westside sells and they make a HUGE difference! Hope it helped!

7. 350yddr

350yddr Junior Member

Here's a Youtube post from Westside Tire http://youtu.be/V-G8htRU5T0 I have no doubt that it would be a different machine with that tire/wheel pkg.

8. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

I have a set of the 19.5 Westside tires and love them. Would never plow again without them.

9. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

What do they get for a set of those tires and wheels???

10. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

$1400 for my set.

11. 350yddr

350yddr Junior Member

Ditto, I was quoted the 22.5's at $1,250 + approx. 150 frt, no tax if outside of MN. 4 tires/wheels on a pallet/banded. It's a beautiful thing, I love this country.

12. Big Dog D

Big Dog D PlowSite.com Addict

Do what I did, make your own. I made them up ourselves and can buy off the rack snow tires in common/popular sizes for a fraction of the price of specialty ones. Those Westside Tires just appear to be recapped 19.5's with Gripper Caps on them. My experience over the years with Gripper Caps on trucks is that they weren't that great in the snow. I outfitted my Cat 268B with Cooper M&S and it's night and day compared to the stock tires. The M&S's are studdable too if you feel the need for more traction.

Here is the link to what I did. http://www.plowsite.com/showpost.php?p=1135402&postcount=24

FYI I am running a 10ft ProTech push/pull on the machine.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2012
  13. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

I would like to see a comparison between these and the wolf paws.

14. AuroraMSP

AuroraMSP Senior Member

I've used both Wolf Paws and the tires from WestSide and didn't notice a difference.

15. 350yddr

350yddr Junior Member

Nice, very nice, like to see good ole creative ingenuity.

16. StuveCorp

StuveCorp Senior Member

I'll be honest, it was easier for me to just buy the Westside setup because of timing this year. You did a nice job with those. So far I really am happy with the performance of them with the gripper tread. I also will keep my 19.5 tires when it comes time to replace them from my 550 and have been starting to look for extra 19.5 steel rims to do another set. Probably the biggest reason I went with these was the oversize factor so I get more speed.

17. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Do the 19.5" rims from a F550 match up or require mods ?

18. A Man

A Man Senior Member

I ran wolf paws in the past but found the tires were a little spongy on bigger machines. We made these our self and they work really well. 12r22.5 tires.

850 big wheeling.jpg

19. Greenmtboy

Greenmtboy Senior Member
    from Vermont

Those are huge! That skid must go 25 mph. :)

20. A Man

A Man Senior Member

It does go fast but not that fast, 15mph/25kph. The surprising part is how comfortable it is, I've always hated running skid steer's for longer than an hour but with ride control, quite cab, air ride seat/controls it's actually a pretty comfortable machine. I wouldn't suggest putting tires that size on a smaller machine, if the pavement is wet we change into low speed if were doing 180 degree turns. Believe it or not it out push's our 244j loader with the same size 10-16 snow wings's. Pretty happy with the S850 so far.