1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

skidsteer snow removal productivity

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wing 97, Sep 3, 2006.

1. wing 97

wing 97 Junior Member
    from ct

How productive can a skidsteer be for snow removal in a large parking lot? (It's divided into 20 car sections)

2. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

With a pusher box if he can plow left to right and right to left he will out perform a pick-up truck. It does need to be a 2 speed IMO.

3. wing 97

wing 97 Junior Member
    from ct

I have the option to bid on a lot right across from my existing accounts but I'm a bit reluctent because I'm almost maxed out as far as time goes when the snow is falling with the accounts I have now. I can't justify putting another truck on the road for just one more account but I do have a s175 high flow with heated cab that just sits in the winter.(not a 2 speed) Trying to figure out if this could be effective enough to use on this larger lot. Thanks for any thoughts.

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Do you know how large this lot is? What about hiring a Broker? It is not good to be maxed as there is no room for a break down.

5. wing 97

wing 97 Junior Member
    from ct

I'd really like to either take this on myself or just let it go. I'm willing to sacrifice parts of my residential accounts to allow for more time but I would really like to feel confident that an operator and a skid steer could take on 80% of the lot and just leave the main roadways for a truck before I do anything drastic. I'm the first one to stress out about breakdowns. I have a 01 duramax dump and 04 3500 srw both with 8.5 fishers so I feel I have a fighting chance. Also the building will not be ready to be leased for at least 6 months so it would just need to be accessible to contractors. I feel this would be a good opportunity to get an idea of what its going to take gradually.

6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

put a 8' protech skids steer snow pusher on it. It will keep right up with your trucks. I personally have seen our 8' protech out plow two 7.5 plows on trucks. As long as you got a guy who knows what he is doing. Your are golden.

7. wing 97

wing 97 Junior Member
    from ct

So today I called my Bobcat/Protech dealer to get a price on a 8 foot snow pusher and asked what he thought what was most productive on a s175. His response was a snow bucket. He also said that I might be better off with a 6 foot pusher for my size machine. Is this why he sells equipment instead of running it? If I can't sick something on the front that isn't at least 8 foot it doesn't make sense to depend on it for production. Is he full of s@#$ or is there some truth to his advice?

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I don't agree with a snow bucket. I think it would fill up to fast and then you would have trail off on both sides of the bucket. What is the lift capacity of your S175? We have a John Deere 325 with a 7' bucket. We use it to load salt. One night we used it to plow as we had 2 trucks down and running late. It worked well but I have a broker with an 8' pusher box and he plowed considerably faster. Both these machines are 2 speed.

9. wing 97

wing 97 Junior Member
    from ct

The s175 is rated for 1750 lbs and is not a two speed. The salesman said the 8 foot pusher weighs about 1200 lbs and most guys run tire chains on the back. I have three smaller lots across from the larger lot I am bidding on that consist of alot of short passes and tight manuvering where I think the skid steer would excel. This would free a truck to put on the larger lot. In addition, the larger lot has a main entrance road and is divided up into about eight 20 car sections with alot of narrow islands where the skid steer would be effective (I think).I just don't want to look like an idiot when the first snow flies

10. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

If I were in your place I think I would give it a try. You already own the machine. These things are great in tight places, they will spin on a dime. I would buy a pusher box.

11. PowerWagon

PowerWagon Senior Member

[​IMG]

do you mean one like this?

12. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

HE is full of $#!+. You will have no problem with 8' pro tech. Snow buckets are only good for finial clean up (aka running curb lines). If you think you will have a weight problem, add a set of bobcats clamp on wheel weights. I got them on mine.

13. Peopleeater

Peopleeater Senior Member

Buddies of mine the same machine. They used it and liked it. We welded up a 10' plow (used one, cut in half, and welded on ends of the other.) It worked well enough with their 2 trucks that they were able to get into a new S250 (2 speed) and I believe an 8' Protech.

The plow works great around curbs, islands, etc. You won't regret it if you try it. You will want 2 speed though.