1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

skidsteer pusher - old loader tires?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by steveair, Jan 27, 2001.

1. steveair

steveair Senior Member

I saw a unit the other day that looked interesting on a skidsteer.

They had a old loader tire/tractor tire mounted on the front of a skidsteer. What they did, is take the tire, cut in half, and then cut it in half again to form a 'crescent' shape. It was around 6 ft wide. They then had it bolted on to a frame that was hooked up to a quick disconnect plate on the machine.

They were using it on a parking lot, and it was working great. Acts like a big 'scoop' and also scraped the pavement clean. In an hour, the parking lot was black.

Any one ever see/use something like this. With a littler welding, and a free tire, seems like a neat idea to try out.

2. Mike Nelson

Mike Nelson Senior Member

Great Idea!
    Kudos to the man that thought of that.Never seen one,but the concept I think is awesome.
  3. bam

bam Senior Member
    from .

I was at an industrial park where i saw a similar setup. Whoever built it rammed? a set of forks thru a large, used tractor or monster truck tire, that was sliced in half. On top metal was welded to the fork frame and that was welded in a square frame above the tire, to keep it rigid. If I had a camera I would have taken a photo.

It sure beats forking out the $$$ for a pusher.
  4. whartford

whartford Junior Member

I have seen generally the same thing, except it was used on a dairy cattle feed lot to clean up manure, etc. and push it to the chute to the lagoons. It worked really goo for them, but I would have never thought to use it on snow.

5. Finecut

Finecut Junior Member

Steveair or someone else who might have access to one of these units, could you possibly take and post a close up picture for us?
  6. diggerman

diggerman Senior Member
    from Ames

There is a magizine out there called farm show and it has every good as well as hair brained idea that any farmer with too much time on there hands has time to make and take a picture of and send to the publisher.It seems like there is always a guy in there that has an idea for an old tractor tire and this is where I saw my first skidloader manure pusher made out of an old tire which is what you were looking at being used for snow.
  7. steveair

steveair Senior Member

i've done some research and found that they use this setup for manure/feed clean-up down on the farm. I guess they don't get much snow in those parts, so they only use it occassionally for snow because they don't get much. However, I think they may be on to something, think about 5 older loader tires together and you have one hell of a pusher.