1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skidsteer plows

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by wewille, Feb 14, 2009.

1. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Has anybody here took a truck snowplow and welded it to a quicktach plate for a skidsteer? Im in the process of making one now and im just wondering what you guys have done, or any tips, or tricks, or whatewver. So pictures would be great!!!!!!!! Thanks!

2. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

I've done it and the best advice I can give you is that you NEED to purchase a hydraulic fluid flow reducer (not sure what the technical term is for it) that will slow down your angle speed.

Before I was told to buy one the plow would go side to side at a speed of around Mach 5 :dizzy:

3. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

one other possibility I have seen is running about 3 adapters that reduse in size and reduce flow.

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

What Camden meant was a Crossover Relief Valve & a Inline flow Restrictor:drinkup:

5. cretebaby

IMO that wont work we drilled our Restrictors at an 1/8" and that was a bit to big

I dont see how you could reduce down that small, besides a Restrictor is about $3;)

6. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Great ill look into that! Thanks, were would i get one, any implement dealers?

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That's what you should use I agree but there not $3.

8. Camden

Camden PlowSite Fanatic

They probably are as long as you don't purchase it from a John Deere dealer :D I over-paid for my parts because I bought from JD instead of a place like Tractor Supply Co.

9. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Thanks again everybody, ill run over to farm and fleet and see what they have. Ill post the price later in the week when i get it.

10. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

depending on your application you may want to do away with the chain lift and hard mount the lift so that you can take advantage of downpressure

11. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

I'd agree with that. We had some with chains and you can't a good scrape. Then we bought some snowwolfes. No chain much better scrape.

12. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Yes that is what i was thinking, if i want or need the blade to float i can use the float controls on my skid steer.

13. cretebaby

The restrictors I got were $2 and change there isnt much to them they look like a pipe plug with a tiny hole in them;)

14. cretebaby

Here is how I made mine, I have the best of both worlds chain lift and downpressure

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=68256

JMO but the bad part of using the float on the boom is you take the weight of the boom off your tires and have that weight on the cutting edge when you are trying to float

15. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

That's a nice setup. We did something similar years ago before we went to the snowwolf. We bought an attachment plate, made our own hook up brackets for an older fisher plow and then welded them on to the plate. Then welded a 2" tube to the plate and then added a hook for the chain to lift the plow. Good design for just plowing not good for scraping. I'll see if I can find some pics from years past to show.

16. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

We have made three of them. They work really well. Heres a picture of one of them.
    [​IMG]

17. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

That looks nice.

18. cretebaby

Farm and Fleet propably wont have the cross over

Try the imp dealer or your plow dealer

Your best bet would be Force America online

19. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Wow thanks for all the pictures and info everybody, cretebaby i really like your setup, im gonna start working on mine this weekend hopefully, pics will be up soon!

20. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Ok well its been awhile, but with the cool weather and flurries in the forecast i decided to get back to work on this thing. It is all welded up and primed. It is not nearly as elegant or versatile as cretebaby's but i think this should work. I will post some pictures this week. Cretebaby has great pics and a great design for his skidsteer so if you guys want ideas chjeck out the link earlier in this thread. Also check out mdb landscapings setup they also have a great idea! So once again thanks for the help and ideas ill post pics this week!