1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skidsteer plowmounting question

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Bodgit2, Dec 8, 2005.

1. Bodgit2

Bodgit2 Junior Member

I am a newbie to this forum. I have a New Holland L553 1992 vintage 42 hp skidsteer. It usually moves manure from my horses. I was thinking of trying a plow for the front for winter cleanup instead of the large bucket. It doesn't have the modern bobtach front. I have a large bucket, small bucket and forks to fit it. Is it worth converting the front to a bobtach coupler and fixing the 3 attachments with mounting plates (approx 1k for job) so that I can use standard attachments for it like a plow? It doesn't have accessory hydraulics either. These would be about 1k to add also. Are these worth it?
    Thanks for advice.
    steve

2. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Wouldnt it be easier.....

Wouldnt it be easier to put plow ears in one of your buckets?

3. Bodgit2

Bodgit2 Junior Member

Please excuse my ignorance but how does one do that? The bucket I use for manure is a 1 yard bucket.
    Steve

4. Oshkosh

I'll see if I can find you a photo....

If you look at the push plate/frame of a say fisher plow you can see the ears that the plow pin goes threw to hold the plow on.
    You could just copy a couple of those and either weld the ears into your bucket or mount them on a plate and bolt that into the bottom of your bucket.Then just pin the plow into the ears, run a chain from the lift to a hook on the top of the bucket when you lift or curl the bucket the plow will lift.If you have a aux hook up just hook up the Power angle to that with the correct hose ends.And away you go.
    I'll try and dig up a photo of this setup.

5. Bodgit2

Bodgit2 Junior Member

Thanks! I must admit that I never thought of that! Is this best for a large or small bucket ( 1/2 or 1 yard)? Since I would need to buy a plow blade, am I better off making a adapter plate for the New Holland or converting the skidsteer to take modern attachments?
    Steve

6. Oshkosh

Here is another version...

Steve, Below is another version of the same idea.
    I would say setup the small bucket for the plow and save the larger bucket for moving snow if needed,either way I guess it really wouldnt matter.
    As far as making the adapter or converting depends on the budget and what you plan on doing with the machine in the future,only you can answer which would be best for you.
    http://www.knowledgecontrol.com/hubco/

7. Oshkosh

Here is a photo of a bucket

This is something like what I was thinking.

Attached Files:

8. SLSNursery

SLSNursery PlowSite.com Veteran

I think you need a....

I think you need a crossover relief valve if you end up hooking up the hydraulics. Otherwise you may have a problem. We were going to do the same thing. I had all the pieces, but none of the time. Monday we picked up one ready to go (a Curtis), and it had the crossover relief mounted right on it. It seems to work well, but homemade should do the job, and be a little cheaper.

9. drmiller100

drmiller100 Senior Member
    from idaho

i just sold my 555 deluxe new holland. moved up to a 75xt.

keep the bucket, and learn to use it. a yard bucket is plenty of bucket, and pretty effective.

Rules:
    You can push a lot more then you can lift. So, push until you are near where you want it, then lift it out of the way.
    you can't push if you are on loose snow. So, clear a spot, and start pushing away from there.
    If you put chains on, spend the money and get a pair of skid steer chains, and put them on the back.
    when you start to run out of power, resist the impulse to ram the sticks forward. Instead, pull them back, and let the skid use a lower gear.

A non talented person on a skid steer will clear a lot of snow out of tight spots. In deep snow, a skid steer can lift the snow out of the way, where a plow can't.

10. Bodgit2

Bodgit2 Junior Member

Thanks for the advice guys. I will try with the large bucket first. I ordered an adapter for Bobtach attachments from Skidsteer solutions and will fabricate hooks and a lip to make it quick attach to my New Holland front.
    Any advice on the accessory hydraulics issue?
    I'll look into chains mentioned in a previous posting on this forum.
    DrMiller, how did you like the L555?
    Also, there's a "6 way " blade for sale locally for 1800, is this a worthwhile attachment?
    Steve

11. drmiller100

from idaho

the 555 had a broken hour meter and 5800 hours showing when i got it a year and a half ago. I billed enough with it in 3 months to pay itself off, used it all year, and eventually sold it for 1000 bucks more then i paid for it.

the 555 would pick a full pallet of wet sod off a semi. ran great. the only problems i ever had with it were aftermarket electrical fuel pump, and acid from the battery corroded through a hydraulic line.

But it was old, tired, and was not going to live given too many days of 18 hour straight pushing snow. Also, it would NOT run a blower. I thought I wanted a blower. I was wrong.
    A plow is a waste of time for what I do, and a blade would be even worse. get teh big bucket working. maybe put wings on the bucket.
    you might get a cab enclosure for it. i got one from northern hydraulics for 225, and was pleasantly surprised how well it works.

12. Bodgit2

Bodgit2 Junior Member

I made an enclosure with Plexiglass windows and a welded steel door with Plexiglass window. It works great for current use as a manure hauler.
    It saves my back and shoulders. It only has 854 hours on it.
    Did you ever use the accessory hydraulics on the L555?
    Steve

13. bterry

bterry Senior Member

Doesn't this hurt the horses?

Sorry - I couldn't resist.

14. Bodgit2

Bodgit2 Junior Member

They like their skidsteer. It hangs out next to their turnout.
    Keeps the place clean.

15. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

unfortunately our horses have grown brave in regards to the skid steer. I use it for putting out roundbales, doing cleanup, etc... Now they have no problems with running up to it to visit, standing in front of it, or generally not moving out of the way. I need to get an airhorn.

16. drmiller100

from idaho

i used them. worked fine. 13 gallons per minute, which is plenty for everything except snow blowers.

17. Bodgit2

Bodgit2 Junior Member

Thanks! . I was thinking of buying and hooking up the necessary valves to the control valve in the next few weeks.
    Steve

18. Bodgit2

Bodgit2 Junior Member

I ordered a set of rear tire chains from www.kenjones.com today. (No affiliation) They were very helpful and knowledgable. I'll post results when they're on my machine.
    247 plus shipping.
    Steve