1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skidsteer plow - chain suspended vs no chain?

Discussion in 'Residential Snow Removal' started by MNBobcat, Feb 27, 2014.

1. MNBobcat

MNBobcat Junior Member

Hi Guys,

I notice that a lot of the guys doing commercial snow removal using a skid with a plow have plows where the plow is suspended by a chain. What I'm trying to understand is the pros and cons versus a plow that is not suspended by a chain.

I can see where the chain might allow the plow to float and avoid tearing up the blacktop when you hit something. But I'm not sure how that would be different than putting the loader in float when you plow.

I may go buy a plow today so your thoughts and opinions would be most appreciated!

Any thoughts on the Snow Wolf Ultra Series snow blades?

Thanks.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  2. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Get a Snow Wolf if you can, mine's been great. No way I'd get a skid steer plow with a chain lift.

3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I have a chain and it will float better then a fix mount plow

I thought I wanted a fix mount but after watching youtube and talking to people that has one I went with a chain lift plow.

If you look at videos with fix mount you will see the guys running front tires off the ground. They do that so they can keep the plow on the ground on uneven lots.
    I drop my chain lift plow on the ground and don't touch it till I hit the pile and all 4 of my tires are on the ground

4. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I don't know that I've even seen a chain lift blade on a skid loader. I've always seen/used fixed mount.

5. MNBobcat

MNBobcat Junior Member

If you look through the photo thread on skidsteer plows there are a number that have the chains.

6. jomama45

jomama45 PlowSite.com Addict

Chain here, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I do, however, have the ability to curl the attachment forward to apply down pressure when necessary, like back dragging loading docks, etc... I've always heard/read that using the float function on the machine allows the loader arms to ride up and become an issue/frustrating. Not sure if it's true or not, or isolated. Also, kicking a Bobcat foot pedal into float every pass (passed the detent) would make for a long night. Not sure how every other machine institutes "float" mode though......

7. MNBobcat

MNBobcat Junior Member

I appreciate hearing your opinions. Can I ask what brand/model plows you run that have the chains? I have to make a purchase decision and if you're saying you like your plow and it works well I'd like to take a look at them on the manufacturers web site and read up on them.

One thing about the Snow Wolf Ultra that I am considering, is although its fixed mount it does allow the blade to rotate to follow an uneven contour.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  8. GreenAcresIrr.

GreenAcresIrr. Senior Member

I have a chain mount on my plow, its mounted on a CAT 236B3. I like it, we can roll the plate forward to apply down pressure when desired. That is usually only when back dragging. Having it mounted via chains is nice because it float alot better then letting the loader arms float. I am looking for a trip edge 8' plow to use as a plow and then have removable sides to use like a box. I will mount it the same way though, with a chain to let it float and then just roll the plate down when you want down pressure.

9. Antlerart06

I have a Pro Tech Sno-Blade its a 7.5 model with adjustable wings They do offer a 9ft model to

On my 7.6 is a box or you can open wings up to 45* and its a 8'11'' wing plow and then can open it all the way up its 9.6 windrowing

So far I have only ran it in box mode and 45*
    This my first year with it I have close to 100 hrs on it and its holding up well

1016130926a.jpg

10. Antlerart06

11. snocrete

snocrete Banned

We currently have a skid plow with chain, but it also has the ability to apply DP when needed. There are designs that give the same effect, so it doesn't necessarily need to be a "chain"...just the ability to float/tilt/oscillate when desired.

Kage is now offering an optional attachment plate that does this^^^, not just side 2 side movement(oscillate). And they don't use a chain to accomplish it. It actually looks like a really good/stout design.

12. snocrete

snocrete Banned

13. WIPensFan

I guess I don't understand the issue with the front tires being off the ground...but I see some guys are "Rain Manning" about it..."Yeah, front tires are off the ground" "Front tires are off the ground..." "Of course, front tires are off the ground" WHO CARES!!!

14. snocrete

snocrete Banned

LOL..."Rain Manning"

Its not that you cant make it work, but you lose some traction & power as soon as the fronts leave the ground. Skids distribute the power evenly to all 4's...Yes, I know when you bring the front end off the ground, extra weight is put on the rears. But it does not make up for the traction the fronts provide...and that power does not move to the rears just because the fronts are off the ground.

Every bit helps...I like getting max efficiency out of my equipment.

Greg, you trusted me on the snow tire thing! Why cant you trust me on this.?.LOL...:waving:

15. WIPensFan

Seriously Mike this is getting on my last nerve. I used to do 30-40 driveways a night with a 743B and a snow bucket. The front tires were off the ground 50% of the time because of back dragging the drive out to the street. Yes there are traction issues in the winter, but with 4 tires on the ground, there are the same issues. Nowadays the WolfPaws help a great deal, but in my experience, it has not mattered that the front tires are off the ground when plowing. Especially when plowing forward and removing snow ahead of the machine. Maybe it's more of an issue when trying to turn with a full load out front, but it's a minor obstacle to overcome.

The guy that does the shop next door to mine uses a big Case skid steer with a large snow bucket, the front tires are off the ground the WHOLE time he's there! 10-12-14" of snow, he gets it done with no problem, regular lug skid tires too!

Get a chain lift plow or a solid mount plow, I don't care...IMO the front tire off the ground thing should not be a cause for concern.

Pusher boxes don't have chain lift and people seem to do just fine with those.

16. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Did you not see these 2 comments I made? :confused: I know it can be done!

Greg, its fine if you don't want to believe it makes a difference. But I know it does, along with all the others that are annoying you with their personal experiences/feedback. BTW, when we use our snow buckets we get the front tires off the ground some to....heck, when we've used our blades for back dragging drives, it happens, when we need a little DP.

As for the pusher comment --- my pushers all have float/tilt/oscillation built into the design...and none of them use a chain to accomplish it. We can push more snow with them, than we could with solid mounted pushers. The faster/more efficiently/safer I can move snow, the betterpayup.

17. WIPensFan

I can see you need the last word here so I'll let you have it.

18. Antlerart06

I don't want to get in the middle of this.

There a guy runs a Cat skid and he is one I talk to in person about his fix mount. He said, if the lot is uneven/rough he runs the front wheels off the ground so the blade will stay on the ground his Cat doesn't have a working float . He did say once he starts spinning he has to drop the front tires.
    In Dec my guy that runs my skid was having problems with traction So I bought chains. Only wish I seen him plowing with it. He was running front tires off the ground. and I told him not to and since then he has never complained about traction. I run regular skidsteer tires. Now I have brand new set of chains, I'll never use.

19. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Actually, your not letting me have it....you posted :waving::D

Seriously though, I'm only trying to post what I have experience with.

20. snocrete

snocrete Banned

your welcome

Last edited: Feb 28, 2014