1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

skidsteer or Loader

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Got Snow, Feb 16, 2003.

1. Got Snow

Got Snow Senior Member

if this storm hits as hard as they're predicting, i'll probably need a skidsteer/loader for some of my residential accounts. which one would be better? what is the going rate ? flat rate or hourly? payup

also,should i have known better and pushed the first piles of the season 30 feet past the pavment to avoid this?

whats my best explanation to the client?

thanks in advance.

2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

skid steer because you can transport easier and maneuver in driveway.Loader is great but may be to big and harder to transport.As far as not pushing snow back very far tell them you didn't want to destroy the lawn .

3. Arc Burn

Arc Burn PlowSite.com Addict

Thats my problem almost every year,the first couple plowable snowfalls are early in the season and the ground is not froze,aside from the plow damage to the lawn you leave some good sized ruts to contend with later in the year!Most customers understand some yard damage,but some don't,unfortunatly i have both and the homeowners who understand have plenty of room for more snow,on the other hand the one's who won't tolerate lawn damage are seeing there driveways rapidly narrowing right now!oh well:rolleyes:

4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

so in that case they pay for lawn repair or pay for removal you will make out eather way cause if we get as much as they say they won't have a driveway left.

5. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

My opinion would be a bobcat. The price around here is about 60-75 per hour. Plus transportation if you are renting. They are easier to transport. Other consideration is the size of your accounts. If you have to clear small townhouses or drives that is the best option because you can manuever it around easy. Otherwise, use a loader... my opinion...
    Rick

6. fordman

fordman Senior Member

I'd go with a skidsteer as well, easy to maneuver and still very productive. Around here you can rent one for around $200 a day.

7. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

i got a quote of $200 a day with a trailer and pintle hitch. i may have to rent one later this week if we get what they are saying we will.

8. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

I wouldn't take a loader in residential driveways unless you know the pavement is high quality. I've seen too many times where the weight of a loader will leave ruts in the pavement due to a poor installation, what will you tell your client then? Use the skid steer and pay attention to the pavement.

9. Grazzmazter1

Grazzmazter1 Junior Member
    from .

It would depend on the size of the parking lot. A small lot would require a skidsteer for eazy manuvering. A larger area parking lot would be easier and faster with bigger equipment. Hope this helps!

10. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

go to a ag dealer and rent a farm type tractor, dealer can hang a temporary license plate on it, call your assurance and they will cover you for the day. Skid steer wheel are too small to climb over the grass, so if you want to push back your piles it's gonna be easier. Plus no trailering between job. Cost is around 250 for the day around here

11. dan deutekom

dan deutekom Member

I have used both a skid steer and a ag tractor with loader to push back piles. The skid steer is generally faster and major maneuverable but if you have to climb curbs or frozen snow it is a bit of a pain. The ag tractor moves from job site to job site by itself and you can walk over any obsticle. It will also pile higher and the tires don't spin as much when pushing snow. Not nearly as maneuverable in tight spaces. Don't use a large loader because most driveways won't handle the weight of them.