1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skidsteer Hourly Rate NJ

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Liberty LLC, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Liberty LLC

Liberty LLC Member
    from NJ

Does anyone know the going rate for subs with skidsteer and pushers? I was offered $100 an hour and feel it should be closer to double that....
    Please share your opinions

2. fatheadon1

fatheadon1 Senior Member

bucket or pusher? what size machine? cash or check? For a small machine with just a bucket 100 cash is great, for a large machine with 10 foot pusher 150-175 is the what most people bid work.

3. ducaticorse

ducaticorse PlowSite.com Addict
    from we

Damn that! I pimp my K120 loader with a 12 foot box out at 120 an hour w operator. My 753 with a 7.5 goes out at 80 w operator. I WISH I could get numbers like that in Bean Town..

4. cj7plowing

cj7plowing Senior Member

$140 with an 8ft box.

5. PGHplowguy

PGHplowguy Senior Member

Just the bucket at least $125+.

8 ft. box $160+...

Bigger bucket, bigger rate +++.

6. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

We don't sub out our machines... maybe with an older machine, you can make a few bucks...

Assume you either own the machine, pay monthly payments on it or lease/rent it for a season...

$900-1500/mo payments if you buy one, for 40-48 months
    $1200-2000/mo payments if you're lucky enough to lease/rent one

Then the box you either rent for $1000-1500/season or own each box, minimum about $3k for a 10 footer...

Lets assume you get 3 big storms per season, 12hrs someone contracts you to use the machine in each storm, just to help them out when its coming down hard.

36hrs x $100/hr $3600
    36hrs x $200/hr $7200

At $100/hr, how do you make ANYTHING? At $200/hr most can make something, but keep in mind..

36hrs operator rate.. $20+/hr
    Machine/Box rental or payments for 3 months are
    $4600/season
    $300+/Fuel?
    $720+/Wages
    $ damage/liability/wear and tear etc?

All that to make maybe $1600 a season?

I once submitted our equipment list to a larger company that was handling an entire mall contract... they swore we'd get a boatload of hours upon ANY accumulated amount of snow...

They offered us $80/hr for our 1 year old $50k+ skids and $5/hr if we supply our own 10 foot boxes. WTF? :realmad:

7. ducaticorse

from we

What the F is going wrong in MA? I wish I could get those numbers up here.....

8. ducaticorse

from we

Out of curiosity

How do you justify the near double the hourly cost of a similarly priced brand new one ton with a 9 foot blade, possibly outfitted with a sander for a cpl bucks more? Or do one tons get nearly 200 an hour in Jersey too?

9. Liberty LLC

Liberty LLC Member
    from NJ

Trucks can get 75-120 depending who you sub for. I was going to buy a used skid amd a 8-10 pusher box for a few accounts I have and found someone seeking subs amd he said 100 an hour so I fogured I would price check before going back with a counter. Thanks

10. ducaticorse

from we

I havent looked up your average snow fall totals down there, but someone above mentioned that you only get three "good" storms? Do you know off the top of your head what the average is?

11. Liberty LLC

Liberty LLC Member
    from NJ

26 inches with 8 events

12. ducaticorse

from we

Ok, that makes more sense to me. Up here our average is 44-46 inches, and except for last year, we've received 45-80+

13. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

It a totally different animal in NJ ... no way we could get those rates here also.....

14. ducaticorse

from we

Yeah, I didnt realize the only average 25 inches of snow a season.

15. Silverstreak

Silverstreak Senior Member

be thankful for the offer, i can barely charge clients 125 per hour for an 8ft pusher

95-100 is what i pay subs with an 8' bucket or pusher

plus most need to be babysat...give them fuel....breakdowns...etc

and like was said before trucks only get a MAX of 120, most are in the 95 range, and can plow 5 times faster than a 6mph skid steer...so be thankful he isnt just giving you a few hrs at the end of the storm to stack cause the trucks will be the ones getting the lot clean faster

snows changing because of the nationals driving the rates down, im forced to match their numbers to keep the work on our larger stuff, soon snow is something not worth doing...

16. Italiano67

Italiano67 Senior Member

I agree completely that snow is hardly worth doing now. If you really crunch the numbers and take in account everything cost related I dont believe that after wages fuel etc there is any real reason for legit companies for doing snow besides keeping summer employees busy. The depreciation on equipment is a tough pill to swallow and you might get lucky for a while with older maintained equipment but eventually the older equipment will cost you in parts or get you with being down during crunch time. I quit doing bigger accounts because it seems the national target them and drive the prices down to a ridicilous level.

17. rcn971

rcn971 Senior Member

On contract work, I get $185 per hour for my own sites. I sub for a large landscaper as well and they pay $100-125 per hour based on how good the operator is. They also supply poly cutting edges as no metal edges are allowed to touch driveways.

18. ducaticorse

from we

Don't tell anyone, but I'd be happier making 80 an hour with three times the hours with my ten k skid then 100-120 with a quarter of the hours with my 50K skid

19. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

There are people that own equipment that sit idle during the winter and can run them for a reasonalble price in the winter, even more so if they are owner operator. $100/hour with a 100 hour garuntee isn't bad money. Pays for your skid for the entire year in most cases. I know I've bought my subs skid over the past 6 winters he's worked for me.

20. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

The only way to make is staying away from getting paid hourly..

Must have your own contracts.. i charge per push and per drop on salt..

If i can get a decent winter i can turn a 100k with 5 trucks and 5 subs... Low overhead... crazy profit