1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

SkidSteer Hard to start?

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by Workaholic, Nov 21, 2011.

1. Workaholic

Workaholic Member

I have a case 95XT 85hp cummins

I must crank it over 30-45 seconds for it to start.

I would like to troubleshoot starting with the cheapest.

My first thought is to install a check valve in the fuel line to keep the fuel primed.

Does this seem logical?

Next is possibly glow plugs?

Any ideas?

:mechanic:

2. icudoucme

icudoucme Senior Member

How old is it?
    How many hours are on it?
    How does it run when it starts?
    Can you got full throttle after it warms up without chugging or "gasping".
    Does it only have the hard starts after it sits awhile or will it start hard each time?

The only reason i ask these questions is I had a similar problem. Mine ended up being bad fuel. the fuel had algae in it and plugged the fuel lines and filter.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  3. Workaholic

Workaholic Member

Will post video clip tommorow

4. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

I doubt It's a fuel seepage from prime as that may require bleeding to start. More than likely a bad pre- heater.(glowplug)

5. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Our's did the same thing last season and it was glow plugs, now even left out in 10 degree temps. it fires right up. They went through the fuel loosing its prime etc. but again ended up being glow plugs.

6. Workaholic

Workaholic Member

I think Im going to do new fuel filters and new glow plugs and see how that works.

Anyone know if these machines come with a block heater? I havent seen one yet but havent really looked

7. jsyl7

jsyl7 Junior Member

some machienes come standard with the block heaters if there sold in areas where the temp gets cold, but the bobcat i used last winter did not and i encountered the same problem as you.

8. Mr.Markus

Mr.Markus PlowSite Fanatic

Most times it's just one of the glow plugs. Easy to test, Remove and hook to a battery, put the end on a chunk of wood to see the end smoke. (Do not hold it.) No smokey no workey.

9. blazer2plower

blazer2plower Senior Member

All so drain the separator. We have a 320 that did that called the dealer and ne told us to put a code in on the dash bord it was 0000
    it. Might be a diffrent code for your loader. All so to hand prime it the pump is on top of tje separator just push it down and up.
    all how dirty is the tank? It my need a good cleaning I know on some loaders on the in take line in the tank there is a small filter check that as well hope that helps

Dave