1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skidsteer electrical hookups?

Discussion in 'METAL PLESS Snow Plows / Wing Plows / Box Plows' started by Showmestaterida, Dec 22, 2014.

1. Showmestaterida

Showmestaterida Senior Member

Looking at skids and wondering if i need the electrical connections option for the skid to run these plows or any other expanding plow setup. What do i need to run one? What else might i need the electrical connections for/ any attachments?
  2. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I just bought a "new to me" 2012 Case SV250. It had all the options on it that I wanted EXCEPT the auxiliary electrical hookup. The dealer I bought it from was able to add it on for about $1000.00 with a kit from Case. It involved switching out the control handles for the new ones in the kit that have all the extra switches and buttons on them as well as raising the cab and running the wiring harnesses that are needed. The reason you would want them is to run multifunction attachments. If all you are going to do is run a grapple bucket or brush hog deck, than no you don't need it as both of those have one hydraulic function, (IE: blades on or off or grapple open/close.) However, if you want to run an attachment with more than one function (like the HLA Snow Wing that I have) you need the aux electrical in order to run the solenoid valves for the different functions (IE: angle plow left or right - no switch, but to move either of the wings on the side, you need some way to divert the hyd fluid from angle rams to the wing actuator. So I have a left wing button and a right wing button that I have to push, then run aux hyd to move wing in or out.) Same thing for a snow blower. Aux hyd on or off turns the blower on or off, but if you want to spin the chute to throw in a different direction or run the deflector at the top to throw far or near, you need aux. electrics.

Having said that, could I have run my plow without it? Yes, it came with a toggle switch and about 10' of wire that you could just run into the cab through the door and mount somewhere, but that would require you to remove your hand from the skid steer control lever to run the attachment. With the aux elec, your hands stay on the controls, and you run your attachment "on the fly". It would also increase the resale value or your machine if you had it when it came time to trade up, or at least I would think so. Hope this helped.