1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skidsteer Dealer markup?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by sle, Mar 10, 2010.

1. sle

sle Member
    from midwest

I was just thinking today and had a question for you guys.
    I am in the process of buying a new loader.My ? is, how much does a dealer make off a sale
    of a new loader?(markup)
    Is it as good as in Landscape/snow removal?
    I know that some may chime in and post that its all about service.Which I agree with.
    I don't know, maybe I am to nosy.
    Thanks

2. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

i was once told that there is anywhere from 10-20% mark up on stuff like that.

3. sle

sle Member
    from midwest

Thanks Buckwheat for replying.
    I would of thought it would be closer to 40-50%.

4. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I can't imagine it's that high on a machine in the tens of thousands of dollars.

10-20% seems realistic, and reasonable.

5. sle

sle Member
    from midwest

Yea 2COR517 I guess I am glad I'm in this industry.
    Allot more room for profit.
    Nice dog in your av. I know those dogs are very intelligent.
    I myself have a German Shepard and he is one smart SOB.
    Good luck to all this upcoming season.

6. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks. That's Myles. Three years old. AKC Rough Collie. Last time we checked 92 pounds :eek:

I'm sure the equipment market is cut-throat, especially where things have slowed down but they still need to pay interest on the equipment on the lot.

7. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

well there is also a big difference in whether we are talking mark up on the selling price or mark up on the "list" price. Just bought a machine for 75k that "lists" for over 90k. dealer must have thought this would make me feel better or something......

8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

BMW, did you post pics of the new loader? If not let's see it. You paid $75,000 for it?:eek:

9. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

I will be posting pictures of it the day it comes in. The rep said about a week because the machine is coming from one of their out of state locations and then they have to add a couple things like my radio :) yeah out the door the total was just over 80k but this puppy is loaded to the max. I will be sure to post pictures the day it arrives!

10. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Can't wait to see it! I'll bet it's cool.

For OP, There will always be a mark-up on things like this. Some dealers will deal more than others. I think if you're looking brand new, you don't have as much room to deal. I recently ordered a new Bobcat that I'm waiting on as well, they gave me some off the list price and there are some dealer incentives going on now. It's a good time to buy, because demand is down right now. I also saw some real good deals on 1-2 year old machines that look brand new. Good luck!

11. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

it is pretty slick!! it's a 297C. What type of Bobcat do you have on order?

12. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Although there may be 10-20 points on the machine, the dealer will get hidden kickbacks (dealer bonus bucks-normally to the tune of 5%-to put towrards inventory of equipment or parts), and a finders fee for writing the financing end of things. That being said a dealer can easily make 10K on a 40K machine. Plus, they get the warranty work, and parts and service from the client, where markups are bigger. Not too shabby for writing up a deal.