1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

skidsteer blower owners

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by rich414, Jan 18, 2012.

1. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

On your blower, in the center, behind the auger, in front of the fan, on the right side of the fan housing there is a triangle plate. I believe this plate is used to adjust the amount of snow that enters the fan. This plate has about 1” of adjustment, right or left.
    Does anyone know how to adjust this plate for given snow conditions?
    I noticed that the erskin blower dont have the plate
    What about just removing the plate?
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2012
  2. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Don't waste your time adjusting it with each snow. I've got 3 and never moved a single one. More like weld, weld some more, and then they hold up.
  3. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I've had three blowers and have never adjusted anything. If there was such an adjustment, I would think that you would want to have it open as wide as possible all of the time. Could have powder on top and slush underneath at the same time.
  4. edgeair

edgeair Senior Member

I think the range of adjustment given is just there so that you can reattach the plate after you bend it and try and flatten it again :lol: But seriously, I doubt it makes any difference to the way it works, and having just removed mine to straighten it after my op hit something I think there is actually some merit to what I just said.
  5. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

if you watch the Pro-Tech snow blower video, about 1:17min into the video they discuss the " adjustable velocity control plate"
  6. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

I adjusted mine by sending some non snow objects through the blower. bent it up nicely to allow more snow to feed the impeller.
  7. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

what did it do to the impeller?
  8. Protech Inc.

Protech Inc. Senior Member

The video doing the 360 degree walkaround of the Pro-Tech Sno Blower can be found at http://protechcorp.com/Products/SnoBlower.aspx . It details the velocity control plate. The plate adjusts less than an inch but the real adjustment is being able to remove the plate, which should be done in wet heavy snow and kept in when blowing slushy snow.
  9. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

So it's there to help deflect the slushy soupy stuff into the chute? I imagine it's not needed when the snow is dry and fluffy?
  10. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

I see it.....never seen anything like that before on a blower. Don't have one on my Erskine.
  11. rich414

rich414 Senior Member

ALC-greg, you have it backwards, light snow leave it on, slop take it off.

We should/might get snow this weekend, going to give it a test and see if there is a difference.
  12. Protech Inc.

Protech Inc. Senior Member

The velocity control plate, VCP, has two main purposes. First, the plate helps to prevent overloading and clogging of the impeller blades. The second purpose is to prevent light snow or powder being thrown forward instead of out the chute. The plate may be removed when running in deep heavy snow to provide an absolute maximum volume of snow removal. The VCP is bolted in place for easy removal. Since snow conditions vary from one event to another or even from one end of the lot to the other it is difficult to predict what is most useful for your operation. If you don't want to constantly keep swapping the plate in and out we have found more benefit to keeping the plate installed than being removed.