1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

skids on 2 stage wearing really fast

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by alteeter, Dec 17, 2008.

1. alteeter

alteeter Junior Member

Hey people, merry winter and god bless all the "pennies from heaven" I purchased a yard machines, 24 inch width, 179 cc 4 stroke, 2 stage blower beginning of this season for sidewalk maintenance at a half dozen small "strip mall" locations i am servicing. today I had to replace one of the skids (already only about 10 hours on the machine) yes only one skid replaced, the other is hardly worn. when I purchased the machine, i set it up on level surface and used a "thick" paint stir stick (about 1/4 in.) to set the height of the skids. again i had about 1/4 inch clearance from skid to cutting edge. first sign i noticed was better clearing on left side (side skid was replaced) than right side, this morning it was pulling hard to left and catching more sidewalk joints than usual, anyway.......any clues, experiences w/ this issue. the replacement skids were very cheap but am thinking of hitting my fabricator up for a "beefed up/custom" set of skids..........thanks all and think about this......
    If your not making money from clearing snow, then your paying money/time to clear snow...I love Michigan.......

2. 04superduty

04superduty PlowSite.com Addict

check the tire pressure, if only one skid is wearing, it either means that the tires are not at the same pressure or the blower housing is twisted to the side.