1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

skidmarks!!!!!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Gr8WhiteNorth, Apr 26, 2009.

1. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

What do you guys use to clear residential driveways?
    I do about 200 everysnowfall, we use skidsteers for anything over 4" to save time. This was a pretty heavy year for snow and lots of my residential customers are pissed because we've left behind some blade marks which have turned to rust streaks. Usually these marks just wash away, but not so far......

Any suggestions to take the marks off?

Anyone use alternatives to iron blades?

2. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

Tell them "it's just life, deal with it."
    I run into the same problem. Tried all different types of cutting edges and they didn't hold up like metal.
    So, I looked at other projects and wrote a big report on how snow is cleared, with what type of equipment to provide a good clean job, and that scratches and other marks are part of nothern climates that need snow removal.

3. LawnProLandscapes

LawnProLandscapes PlowSite.com Addict

nature of things that your going to leave some marks. maybe just an idea if its blacktop drives maybe use the black cover up spray they use marking parking lots to cover mistakes.

4. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

If its normal wear and tear blade marks, then you should explain it as such.

If its operator error, then you need to fix it. Maybe a rust remover and then a concrete sealer JUST on the spots that you scraped.

There was a dispute on here weither or not it was the blades leaving metal or if the concrete had iron rocks in it. I don't remember how that came out.

5. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

Try some CLR Let it set in for a few then blast it with hose

6. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Never tried it but I have been told it's awsome on rust, but IMO if it's normal wear on the drives tell them to use CLR or you'll be doing them every spring.

7. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Rubber or poly are two options for you. They may not scrape as well as steel in some conditions (or last quite as long) but they will work for you.

Like BigDave12786 suggested, CLR will work....Rid-O-Rust also has products that will remove the rust marks pretty good. I bet google can give you more ideas too.

Apparently your "big report" did not include parking structures or other specialty areas where scratches, gouges and rust marks would be totally unacceptable.

8. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I looked at it from a condo (lmass driveway) situation.
    You're right, there are times when marks are unacceptable. Then I'd recommend the rubber or poly.