1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid vs Loader?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by PremierLand, Dec 28, 2006.

1. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

Hey guys, im not fimuliar with this heavy machinery.

I am looking to purchase a skidsteer or front end loader next summer... I would like to go used and possibly spend under $15,000. If it is possible.

I am not sure what I need, so I figured I'd tell you all what I would be doing with it, and what would be my best option.

Thanks. :salute:

What I would use it for:
    1. Loading material into truck's (1 ton dumps).
    2. Loading Junk/Garbage/Grass from ground into dumpster.
    3. Removing Sod From existing lawns
    4. Grading
    5. General Landscaping (taking out rocks from beds, mulch, dirt piles, mounds)
    6. Excavating 4" for pavers or cement.

I would mostly be using it for number 1, 2, and 3.
    I would not plan on using it for plowing.

Thanks guys. I have heard pros and cons of both, but Im still in the clueless area as to what I need, what size, how many hours is to many, etc?
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2006
  2. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

i was you go with a bobcat that way you can offer more to your cust stump grinding
    (that keeps me very busy ) parking lot sweaping
  3. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

bobcat would fit your needs they have attachments that increase profit, sweepers mowers trenchers buckets to blow your mind. all kinds of cool stuff, if your mostly gonna be on lawns and mud/dirt go with a tracked unit there great for lawns and sand ect. the wheeled one will work too but tends to be a but harder on the lawn. the tracked are slipperin winter for snow but do work if you choose to use it in the winter. we have a wheeled 3175 with a 8' pusher and a 66" snow blower. sweet with heat and enclosed cab nice n cumfy.

your other option is a new holland or ford tractor they are lawn freindly as well.
  4. PremierLand

PremierLand PlowSite.com Addict
    from detroit

what would be a good choice for a skidsteer, I dont want overkill.
  5. jce4isu

jce4isu Senior Member

6. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

I have both bobcats and a loader. For what you said you would be using it for the 700 series bobcat or track bobcat would be best. The only draw back is you will need a trailer also. Kill 2 birds with 1 stone and get a dump trailer if you deside to get one. The small loader (906 Cat) I have will do 14 miles per hour and my bobcat will do 9 mph from site to site. The bobcat accepts more accessories, loads my truck faster, was less then 1/4 the price then the 906.
    Good luck in what ever you get.