1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by SnowMatic, Apr 19, 2015.

1. SnowMatic

SnowMatic Member
    from USA

Debating the Skid Steer vs Tractor setup.
    Comparing a 242D to a NewHolland T4.75 tractor.
    Which seem to have the same HP, and close to the same weight.

Whats gonna out plow. Considering a 8 to 10 ft pusher.
    And can you (should you) put a pusher on the loader arms of the tractor?

I understand a SS is gonna be more maneuverable then the tractor
    but with the compabilites of having higher ground speed with the tractor and being able to push faster out weight the difference between the two.
  2. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

How far are your properties from one another, once you determine that you just answered your own question

Close, get the skid
    Far, get the tractor
  3. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Summer use is also something to factor in. We have no use at all for a tractor in the summer, save for 15 hours of rotary mowing. We use our skids all summer landscaping, and rent a hydraulic mower for the little rotary mowing that we do. I'm working on a large monthly mowing contract right now that would be a great fit for a tractor for summer and it will help speed up the more spaced out accounts on one of the skid routes.
  4. ponyboy

ponyboy Senior Member

Always could do a winter rental
  5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

The size of tractor your looking at your better off with the skid. We have quite a few snow only tractors who cares if you use them during the summer as if a 12000 lb 100-120hp tractor will plow 3 times what a pickup will with one operator it's a no brainer. Add into that the very low insurance rates and they still have very good resale value after 10-15 years.
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

What are you plowing with it?

They both have their place.
  7. SnowMatic

SnowMatic Member
    from USA

Oh man I forgot all about this post I did. Was just thinking today about this issue and which way to go.

For the most part (skid or tractor) primary use would be snow plowing as of right now, as ive got the mowing equipment part covered.

We threw that idea around but feel after paying the rental fee (which will go up more than likely each year) we could have something to show for it after 10 yrs of renting.

Actually the skid or tractor would be replacing a pickup w/plow. However I plan to keep the truck to help out for larger storms or to use as a backup until the truck dies (which may not be long considering the amount of time it has spent in the shop the last two years during the winter). and were done with dumping parts into it.

Part parking lot. Part drives. One location
    Id say

10-20 % parking lot - parking lot has two entrances off main road - and is somewhat 'L' shaped. With the two drives off the lower part '_' and one off each side of the '_' .
    Sq ft- dont have it with me right now.
    All Asphalt

90-80 % drives
    drives range from 420ft to 180ft long
    some drives between bldgs 30 to 35 wide maybe
    Assorted types of Stone, no Asphalt

Thanks to all
  8. SnowMatic

SnowMatic Member
    from USA

Bump Bump :help:
  9. dieselss