1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

skid steers

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mr frosty, Dec 30, 2006.

1. Mr frosty

Mr frosty Member
    from canada

are skid steers to small for commercial plowing? i was wondering how u would compare them to a pick up truck. Example a 3\4 diesel can push more snow and also a greater distance then a gas half ton. looking for some owner operator input thanks
  2. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

I think if you want to be productive in a large area i would not want a skid to be doing the job.But for clearing around buildings,loading docks,islands and very small lots they are great .Loaders backhoes and reg trucks with plows to move snow in large lots
  3. Mr frosty

Mr frosty Member
    from canada

so would a 250ft push be to much? how would you rate them for pushing? i'm considering buying a new holland lx885. is a two range tranny of any benefit?
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2006
  4. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

with an angle blade it would be fine depending on how much snow a pusher might bog down some especially if it's a smaller machine . Ten you have to figure if it's a 2 speed it will only be going 10-12 mph .
  5. Duracutter

Duracutter Senior Member
    from Canada

whoa...slow down guys. Not everyone gets paid by the push.

Many of us get paid by the hour and a skisteer is just fine thank you.

Why rush, I make more money by being steady, not rushing...:)
  6. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

one 8' protech on a skid loader will out push two 7.5' plows on two trucks.
  7. Mr frosty

Mr frosty Member
    from canada

really, how much futher will the skid steer push than a half ton?
  8. Detroitdan

Detroitdan PlowSite.com Addict

Man, I have a real hard time believing that. I've done some plowing with skidsteers and found them to be pretty fun and versatile, but not ideal for plowing. Especially on tires. I plow a lot for a rental company I used to work for, they hired me to plow it because they were tired of having two or three techs tied up for 2 to 3 hours plowing when they had work to do. Since I was one of several drivers they figured they'd rather have me doing it. Now granted they didn't have snow blades on, just 5' buckets, so that's a big difference, but they were running three so that's 15 feet, right? Anyway, it always took them between 2 and 3 hours with at least two machines running at full speed. They couldn't believe it when I did the lot in only an hour with my 810. I don't know they square footage of the lot, but it's all four sides of a large warehouse style building, about 60' wide paths with equipment and trailers on both sides. Probably a couple acres total.
    They only used the tracked machines because the ones on tires spin so much you can't do anything. I told them they should buy one Blizzard 810 with the skidsteer attachment and do it themselves in less time.
    After considering how you described it, I would definitely agree that an 8' Protech would be better than any 7.5 straight blade. Other than not losing snow off the sides the only other advantage to doing it with a skidsteer is being able to immediately reverse direction.
  9. elmo1537

elmo1537 Senior Member

a skid is more manuverable than a truck. With a two speed it makes it even better. Use a 8 foot pusher and a truck with an eight foot blade wont even be able to keep up. If i didnt have to drive between lots I would use a skid steer for everything. You may want to have a blade and a box though. Just makes the skid all that much better.
  10. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

we run two 80 hp skids with 9 footers and they will run circles around any of our trucks. they are almost twice as fast.
  11. cat320

cat320 2000 Club Member

A skid will do circles around a truck but as far as straight runs I think the truck will do it faster. if your talking about a small lot then a skid will push turn on a dime and push the other way but a big lot I would give the truck more speed for the long run.
  12. Antnee77

Antnee77 PlowSite.com Addict
    from RI

A skid steer is most productive with a large snow pusher, IMO. They aren't extremely fast, but are obviously much more maneuverable than a large truck, and a few of them can quickly assemble together.
  13. 02 F550

02 F550 Junior Member

Skid steers are awesome. you can do a lot of work with them. u can push almost anything with them you just need traction. i have tire chains for mine. never use them but traction is sometimes an issue if it is icy. we use the skid steers in tight areas mostly. good luck.
  14. SD-Dave

SD-Dave Senior Member
    from Vermont

Skidsteers are strong efficient and very productive in many applications.

I personally do not like them for plowing in any area where there are people cars etc. There lack of vision specifically side and rear is dangerous and there abrupt turning is just an easy way to do damage and/or injure someone. I realize many use them effectively on snow but I personally would not use one in the areas that I need to remove snow from.

Given all that give me a larger one with good ground speed and a pro-tech pusher and I will kick ass over a pick up with a plow in a parking lot etc.

Happy New Year All :drinkup:
  15. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

1 - 7.5' plow can carry about 1-1.5 yards of snow.
    1 - 8' protech can carry about 7 yards of snow

You do the math
  16. Elwer

Elwer Senior Member

Skid loader way to go for smaller tighter lots where you will have to pile the snow as high as you can possibly do. If it is a huge parking lot i would say no way!!!! Just dependent on the lots.
  17. Mr frosty

Mr frosty Member
    from canada

thanks guys