1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid steers: Bucket vs Kage

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by lawntec, Sep 15, 2014.

1. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

See, this may be a no brainer question...but everyone around here cleans properties with snowbuckets. nobody uses any kind of box system. Meaning....what am i missing?

Will something like a Kage setup not scrape? again, we are cold up here all the time, so scraping with down pressure is important. There just has to be a better way then just using buckets?!?!?

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

They both have their time, place, and purpose.

3. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I don't know about Kage but its a trip edge like my plow It scapes well with down pressure One thing with a Trip edge when you hit a crack you don't face plant in the door
    I run my bucket when moving snow and I have hit cracks and pretty much stop you in your tracks

4. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Maybe they're getting paid by the hour? Or they use skids to cut in around tight spots to support trucks and or loaders?

5. lawntec

lawntec Senior Member

Well, I know our climate plays a huge difference here. I mean trucks with plows have no use here. We need downpressure! Otherwise we end up with 12" of snowpack.

I have been doing it for 15 years and still wonder why we all use buckets. I have never used a box of any type, now just trying to figure out why not? lol

6. Antlerart06

I figure up there your snow is more dry
    Down here we have more wet and heavy snow that really likes to pack down
    Before my Skid I would have to salt and return later to clean up Now with the Skid and my plow It scrapes right up saves on salt

Sometimes apply down pressure but I found out if I tilt plow forward little it will scrape better then running the A frame level
    Then if I'm pushing out in grass I lower A Frame and plow wont dig in on the grass

7. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

Go with the kage... Just because everyone in your area is doing it the wrong way doesn't make it right lol.. a 10ft kage will kill a snow bucket!! And yes they scrape.

8. framer1901

framer1901 Senior Member

Those metal plex boxes have an edge on them at such an angle, I could see those cutting up hard pack - almost anything would be better than a bucket though.

9. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I have tried the Pro-tech containment plows. I was not happy with them at all. They were great for moving snow but poor for scraping down to the pavement. I find that buckets and angle blades work the best. Sometimes we need to put a smaller bucket on the machine so we have more down pressure in a smaller area to scrape problem areas.

10. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

A pro-tech has a rubber cutting edge. The Kage is a steel trip edge, it is a night and day difference from a pro-tech.

11. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

^^^^^^

What he said.

I can't understand why a metal edged pusher of some sort wouldn't work.

12. merrimacmill

merrimacmill PlowSite.com Addict
    from MA

Plowing with buckets will eventually land someone in the hospital with a broken nose or at home with a bad neck/back ache. I've seen it happen once, I've come close personally another time, and of course heard many stories.

I use a bucket for problem areas of snow pack as well, trimming out islands or corners sometimes, loading dock if there is enough snow, etc.. But I would never consider plowing a parking lot at any reasonable speed without a tripping mechanism of some kind (or at least a rubber edge, at a minimum).

13. Antlerart06

My Pro-tech Plow has a steel trip edge Its not a pusher

14. TKLAWN

TKLAWN PlowSite Veteran

100% correct

15. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Mine had steel cutting edge.

16. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

The weather conditions we get in Alberta and Saskatchewan are quite different than most places in the US. Our temperatures are typically colder. Most parking lots are covered with a layer of hard packed snow even after being plowed. Salt doesn't have much of an effect due to the temperatures. After plowing the lot, we spread "pickled" gravel for traction, which is small rough gravel with about 7-9% salt mixed in.

17. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Why not call your local Kage dealer and see if you can demo one for a week or whatever?

18. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

Not all of them. It depends on what is speced or bought. You can get them with one or the other.

19. Antlerart06

if its colder why waste your time with salt at all

20. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Typically that is the way it is sold in my area. I think maybe the little bit of salt helps the gravel adhere to the hardpacked snow.