1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

skid steer

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by Precision Lawn, Dec 9, 2007.

1. Precision Lawn

Precision Lawn Senior Member

What do you think would be better a track or wheel skid steer for the snow
  2. Lawnscape89

Lawnscape89 Senior Member

Wheeled loader. A track loader is "slipperier" and doesn't have quiet the traction. I thought it would be the other way around, but it's not.
  3. dirtmandan2

dirtmandan2 Senior Member

im surprised to hear that ive never run rubber tracks in the snow and always thought it would be the cats azz, like when trying to push sidewalks,,,
  4. Peterbilt

Peterbilt Senior Member
    from IA.

It depends on the type of tracks.

If its an open lug pattern like a bobcat or takeuchi/Mustang then there will be no traction at all.

But a tight pattern like an Asv or Cat type. Will give you more traction. There is a great video of a ASV RC 50 pushing a Bobcat T250 across a snowy parking area. Its great.

I Have an ASV RC 50 and as far as tracked machins in the snow go, Its the best plowing machine I have ever ran.
  5. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

how's the ride after hours of pushing?
  6. Precision Lawn

Precision Lawn Senior Member

Thanks for the info
  7. dirtmovr

dirtmovr Junior Member

I run an LT-190 NH track loader with a 10 ft pusher and it handles it with no problems. Its nice to be able to drive up the piles of snow when space is limited. The worst problem is loading it on the back of a gooseneck trailer when the trailer is covered in ice/snow. Momentum becomes your friend while doing that:eek: I would personally not run a wheeled machine, I have run a 963 bobcat pushing snow nad it will not handle what the tracked macine will.