1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid steer with tracks or wheels for snow??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by stackmaster, Sep 14, 2009.

1. stackmaster

stackmaster Senior Member

Ive been plowing with truck mounted plows for years and have always subcontracted the skid steer work. This year it looks like I may end up with ALOT more skid steer work (Condos etc) I am thinking of buying a skid steer and the tracks look like they would be ideal for snow but have heard stories of difficult maintenance. Any help would be much appreciated.:confused:

2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Have you hit "Search" above?? Been answered 100 times before.

3. LUCKY 7

LUCKY 7 Senior Member

You don't know what frustration is until you try to clean lots with a tracked Bobcat. The worst machine you can imagine on a snowy parking lot. Take it from someone who knows- you will regret purchasing a track machine for snow removal. They are great if you just want to drive through 2 feet of snow but, they are junk if you want to clean up 2 inches of it. Stick with the wheels!

4. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

ive only driven ones with wheels and cant remember the last time ive seen one plowing with tracks but everything ive ever read or heard is that your basically better off doing the lot with a 2wd 1/2 ton truck :dizzy:

5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Our Cat 277B Tracked machine with a 12' Daniels plow, and 10' pusher does an excellent job on a 240,000ft2 site we park it at every year.

6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Huh, you're the first person I've heard from that doesn't like them.

Haven't read or heard much hear then, because most that I've heard or read about have loved them.

I know a guy about an hour south and west of me that has a handful of tracked Bobcats and loves them.

7. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

well got some time so decided to look into this a little bit like you could be doing :) but here is some of the stuff i came up with. the consencous is pretty much split but it seems that the bobcats, new hollands, deeres, takaguchis arent too good cause of their tracks but the ASV's and Cats have much better tracks and do a great job in the snow.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=65624&highlight=tracked+skid

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=65273&highlight=tracked+skid

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=70260&highlight=tracked+skid

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=82757&highlight=tracked+skid

8. U1200

U1200 Member

My takeuchi TL150 is miserable on hard surfaces. The steel on steel undercarriage vibrates the hell out of the cab and literally gives me a headache when I plow with it. The traction isn't that great either and the travel speed is slow. On dirt however I would not own anything else.

9. stackmaster

stackmaster Senior Member

Thanks guys for the input. From searching the site and the posts here, I think I'm gonna go with a wheeled unit. I know it might seem "bass ackwards" but we are buying it to do snow and will use it for odd jobs in the summer. Thanks again for all your input. Now I just gotta figure out which unit to buy. Lookin at the Cat 252B....and which bucket

10. Gr8WhiteNorth

Gr8WhiteNorth Senior Member

how are the track machines for back blading driveways?