1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

skid steer with bucket or plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bullit340, Dec 13, 2005.

1. bullit340

bullit340 Member
    from Mass

Was wondering what would be better? I am thinking of using my bobcat at a lot during storms. I currently have a 76" snow bucket, which I have never used and was wondering how productive that would be versus putting a 8' blade or even a snow pusher on it. I already have the snow bucket and a spare 8' fisher which I could fabricate to fit, but I do not own a snow pusher.
  2. Tahoe1889

Tahoe1889 Junior Member

Go with the Plow

The Bucket is nice but who is gonna run the machine? If your not the one doing the Operating then the person that is will be ripping curbs out for ya with the bucket. Use the plow and then for final stacking use the bucket if ya have to.
  3. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Yhe plow would definintly move more snow. You may need the bucket for stacking, and snow Removal.
  4. bullit340

bullit340 Member
    from Mass

I have been reading that the snow pusher is way more productive than a standard strait blade plow, due to the fact that there is no snow spilling off the ends. I was kinda thinking that the large snow bucket would do the same and end up being more productive than the plow. Does this make any sence to you guys?
  5. subboz

subboz Junior Member

Let me put it this way for you.
    Bobcat 763 2000
    Snow bucket and custom 7 foot fisher with down pressure mod.

I just spent 22 hours over two nights working snow removal at a mall in a mouse. Hands down you can do 10 times the work with the snow bucket as the blade. Push stack clean in all one appliance. Yah you get windrows but you can move them or clean them quick. Lots of sack when hammering on it . By the way this was in a 15" storm in southern NH. Never once even thought to go get the blade!
  6. ehchvac

ehchvac Junior Member
    from ma

i always use the bucket but its mostly tight spaced work.
    i would not want to plow an airport with it.
    depends on conditions
  7. djd427

djd427 Member
    from NEPA

10 times!!!! lmao,,,,,, There is not a chance!!! My only mistake was not getting an 810 or 8611 for the bobcat. I have an 8 foot bobcat blade and a snow bucket. The snow bucket only gets used when the snow has to be relocated on the property or loaded in the truck. The blade will win 9 out of 10 times in my opinion for clearing lots.
  8. bullit340

bullit340 Member
    from Mass

Well, I just plowed the same 15" storm (crazy storm) and I think the next storm I am going to keep the bobcat at the lot with the snow bucket. I was hoping that the snowbucket with another truck would work out well. I was just wondering if the bobcat would fall so far behind that I would have been better off putting 2 trucks with 9' blades out there. I guess I will try the bucket out and if I am not happy well, I guess it will be off to the welders with the bobcat and a spare 8' blade. Thanks for the replys guys
  9. WBH Grounds

WBH Grounds Junior Member

We here use the skidders on the parking decks only. They don't want us using metal edges on the deck surfaces cause of the added wear and tear. But I would go with the pusher, if you can afford one, or just rig up the plow. What type of surfaces will this be used on? If just parking lots, the plow will most likely be faster.:cool:
  10. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. Member
    from Pa.

I would have to say that the plow will out perform the bucket. After using a snow bucket for years finally fabbed a 7 1/2 foot myers definitly is faster than a bucket. Another perk for the plow is it will trip when hitting something like a manhole cover or curb. Just a reminder anyone using a skid steer Please buckle up!!!!! My father was in an accident 3 years ago christmas day using the skidsteer with a buck. Hit a manhole cover and stopped the machine dead in its tracks. Left him paralyzed from the neck down for 9 days until finally got some feeling and movement in his arms and hands. He will never fully recover from this accident. His life has changed on a dime because of not buckling up! I know what some guys are saying it will never happen to me which i pray that it doesn't, because you could lose your whole life as you know it. Since the accident my father has given the landscape company over to my brother and I. He will never work again. He is about 55% from where he was before the accident. So please buckle up!!!!!!!!
  11. bullit340

bullit340 Member
    from Mass

Do you guys think that an 8' fisher plow would be too heavy for a s185 bobcat?
  12. capital

capital Senior Member

We use 8 foot straight blades with an 873 and a newer s195 and they both handle them well, have only had light snows and am waiting to use a new box pusher with the 873.
  13. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I like the bucket.
  14. djd427

djd427 Member
    from NEPA

It will handle it with ease. I have a S185 and it will have a blizzard 810 on by the middle of the year if we keep getting snow like we have been.
    The bucket will work good with a truck. I never ran a pusher on one but I have heard great things about them.
  15. korelandscaping

korelandscaping Member
    from CT

I put an 8 ft pusher on my skid steer and I was amazed how productive it was. I would definately recommend modding the plow opposed to using the bucket.
  16. JPLTrucking

JPLTrucking Member

Power angle plow on mine. Works excellent!!!
  17. drmiller100

drmiller100 Senior Member
    from idaho

how big of a bucket??? what kind of a lot????

we've been building a little bucket for our skid steer this fall/winter. 8.5 feet wide, 2 feet tall at the back, and 4 feet deep. put UHMW sheet on the bottom tonight.

I'd bet BIG money we can clear anything resembling the average driveway in 12 inches of snow faster then anything else out there. Even for a very small commercial property, i'll bet on my bucket.

get to a big, wide open parking lot that is going to take more then 45 minutes, and I'd lose to the plow. I can push 8-10 yards of dry snow with my little bucket, chains on the back of my steer. Bad news is that it falls off both sides, requiring more passes in deep snow, where the plow you could work your way across by angling the plow.

how much snow can you push with a plow and a steer?

75xt, blower, dirt bucket, and snow bucket.
  18. cincy snowdog

cincy snowdog Senior Member

We Took A Plow Welded To The Back Piece Of An Old Bucket That We Cut Up To Get The Bobtach Piece ,then Ran Off Hydraulics For Angle Cylinders ,put Heat In It And It Works Better Than Abucket
  19. PAGE2004

PAGE2004 Senior Member

8 foot Fisher with PRO WINGS on Bobcat 743

This 743B handles this plow with ease ... angles VERY fast too !!

Hopefully my picture will upload here so you can check it out .

743 w plow.jpg
  20. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

Blades, buckets, pushers, each has it's place. This bobcat has been pushing piling, stacking, and loading snow for 25 years. I am still impresed by what it can do. The 3 buckets ate 7' 1 3/8 yd, 8' 2 yd, and 9' 3yd. this blade is a 102" wide and I am alsosetting up mounts for a Boss 9.2V with 2' extended wings = 11 ft wide.