1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

skid steer weight lifting

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by MSS Mow, Sep 8, 2012.

1. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I'm new to the skid steer market and I am considering buying one. Can anyone give any insight their lifting capacity? Not any one in particular but the difference between "tipping weight" and "operating load rating". For the most part I see the operating load rating is about 1/2 of the tipping weight. Is the operating load the actual lift capacity of the bucket? Do you find you can typically lift more than that??

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Yes.

When I used to run a S185 bobcat (1850lb ROC), I had no problem unloading a semi load of salt pallets(2500lbs/pallet)...then stacking them on racks 3 high. Granted this was taking the machine to its upper limits, but it could do it.

Some manufacturers underrate their SS's/CTL's ROC more than others.....New Holland & John Deere seem to underrate "on paper" more than others from my experiences. Probably due to longer wheelbases and more weight compared to similar sized machines from other manufacturers.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  3. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Forgot to answer this.....As far as I know, tipping loads/roc's are measured using the standard bucket that comes with that particular machine.

4. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Snocrete, Thanks a bunch for your feedback!! I'm looking for something used for $15k or under and would like to find something that could lift pallets of salt (the heaviest of anything I'd be lifting).

5. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

6. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I would be willing to bet there are more 773 Bobcats out there than any other SS made. Good, solid, proven machine.

IMO, $7000 tops for that unit.

Depending on what you plan to do with it, it may be worth your while.??....It looks like it has a heater.?.?..?...but no cab enclosure..??.

7. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

I have not gone to look at it yet so I don't know the details yet.

One other one... http://maine.craigslist.org/grd/3257562970.html

This one is on the upper end of where I wanted to be price wise, but seems to be a better machine plus has a couple attachments already.

8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Looks like a good deal...considering it has a factory cab, heat, plow, forks, & bucket....all you'd need then is some dedicated snow tiresThumbs Up.......offer 16000 and see what happens..

Edit: a quick search turned this one up - http://www.machinerytrader.com/listingsdetail/detail.aspx?OHID=8613173&

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  9. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

Ok I'll leave you alone now with all the questions! Thanks a bunch for your advice!! It is much appreciated!

10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

No problem.....did you see th elink i posted above?

11. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

No I missed it the first time around. Nice looking machine. Montana's a bit of a distance for me though. I'm in Maine.

12. snocrete

snocrete Banned

13. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

14. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

This better be the right answer Sno...:D

15. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Well of course..........Bobcat:D

That work

16. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Ohh, thank god, now I can sleep tonight!;)