1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid Steer vs Tractor

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself to the Community' started by Chip P, Dec 15, 2013.

1. Chip P

Chip P Junior Member
    from Lavaca

I am some what new to snow plowing and I have been using a JD 5300 2wd with loader and blade on back. I am looking into buying a bobcat T190 and putting a blade on the front. I need some advice on if this is a smart mover or not. My tractor runs about 10-11mph and the T190 runs 7mph so speed is a consern. I clean mainly bank parking lots and fast food restaurants. I have been hauling my tractor from job to job so time between location is not an issue. Also should I look into a tire unit instead of a tract. I live in Arkansas so the most snow we get is normally 6 inches.

2. 98K3500

98K3500 Member
    from WI

The slight difference in top speed wiil be more than offset by the better manueverability (sp??) of the SS.

SS all the way IMHO.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2013
  3. penniesfrmhvn

penniesfrmhvn Junior Member

I would go with the skidsteer. maybe slower speed but way more user friendly, and maneuverability.just my 02

4. Billious

Billious Member

Tracks really do not perform well in slick conditions. If you have a layer of ice under the snow, kiss your traction goodbye.

If youre going to go with a skidsteer, go wheels all the way.

5. Chip P

Chip P Junior Member
    from Lavaca

Would the tracks do better than my 2wd tractor?

6. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Make sure you get winter tracks.

7. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

If the tracks do better than your tractor it won't be by much.. buy a tire machine and you will love it. A 185-205 with a blade will run circles around your tractor.

8. Chineau

Chineau Senior Member

Will you use this machine in the off season or park it? Minimum i would look at is the 205 and if you can go bigger do it, i have a s-250 and a 943 the s-250 is two speed both machine 70 plus hp. i have no experince with tracks but can tell you i have not heard to much in a positive way about them for snow work.

9. Chip P

Chip P Junior Member
    from Lavaca

I have a mowing business and I am hoping to be able to use it through out the year.

10. Flawless440

Flawless440 PlowSite.com Addict

Get a snow plow truck with a salt spreader and sale salt to your contractsThumbs Up