1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid steer vs. plow truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by derekslawncare, Jul 12, 2014.

1. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

I am new to the site, so excuse me if this was just covered last week, and I didn't find it in my searches. I currently own a 2012 F-550 chassis cab with a Meyer 10.5' SV-2 plow, (which I hate). I had problem after problem last year with the plow wings slowly bleeding off and would not hold in V position. My problem is that last year I (as did many others in my area, Kansas City, MO) found it next to impossible to find someone to buy bulk salt from. Every storm, I would find someone and then the next storm, I would contact them and get the same story, we don't know if we'll have enough to cover our own accounts let alone sell to other contractors. So I found myself running around the day before a storm trying to find salt. So I want to be self sufficient this year and have my own salt, but I don't own a skid steer to load it with. Also one of my accounts is a self storage facility that was very difficult to maneuver my big truck around all the corners and down the narrow alleyways. So I am considering the purchase of a skid steer and a Kage plow/pusher system. What I am wondering is if I do that, would I be crazy to ditch the plow on my truck and just use the skid steer? And if I did, how do you tow a trailer with a salt spreader on the back of the truck? And that would also mean unhitching the trailer every account to spread salt. Seems like a whole lot of extra work, but would the skid steer be that much faster? Any advice would be appreciated.

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Think liquid sprayer.....

3. chris9724

chris9724 Member
    from calgary

A plow truck and skid steer are a very powerful tool in the snow removal business. As long as your accounts are large enough unhooking your trailer is not a big deal. Skids are far more efficient then plow trucks in almost every parking lot. Make sure you get a good set of winter tires for it and you will be very happy. But I would never get rid of the plow if you already have it. The 2 together will be great.

GMHO. Chris.

4. derekslawncare

Chris, are you saying I need different tires than the bar lug that come on it originally?

5. derekslawncare

1olddog, I am set up to apply liq. mag chloride with a single lane boom on the back of my truck, the price was cost prohibitive to most of my customers. I use it on my walks instead of the salt. Also, the spray boom goes in the receiver hitch, so I wouldn't be able to have it on and to the trailer as well. Also, WAYYYY slower to apply than the salt with the spreader. I do use it to pre-treat my salt as it comes out of the spreader.

6. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

You don't need them but they help.

Personally I won't trailer a skid in a storm. That's a pain in the ass.

7. derekslawncare

Yeah, that was another concern of mine. I was thinking primarily to use the skid to load salt and to do the storage place, which is where my salt and the loader would be stored, so no transport for that needed. I was just thinking, if I'm spending the money, might I think about it at other jobs if it is that much quicker than the truck. Thanks for the reply.

8. chris9724

chris9724 Member
    from calgary

Snow tires on a skid make it a different machine. We have now upgraded all of our machines. There is no comparison. We can push larger plows and boxes and have far better control over them.

9. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

With a good plow srcaping, tire traction isn't a issue with factory tires.

Sounds like salt will be pricey this year.

10. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

1) 1Olddogg is a very very knowledgeable person when it comes to the snow / ice industry, so his advice can be very very helpful :drinkup:

2) Instead of the Kage have you considered the HLA Snow Wing? For your purposes with a skid steer and the type of work you would be doing it might be a perfect fit for you. I have used one for the last few seasons now on a skid in the City of Chicago (in tight and I mean tight areas) and it works great. It is also good to go for wider spaces with the expanding wings, and back dragging with the reversing wings as well. It also angles like a normal plow would and can stack. Yes it might be a few dollars more, but look at the long run.

3) Salt this year as 1olddogg said is more than likely going to be outrageous, so try to get locked into a fixed price contract for a set amount through a main supplier in your area. Not through another contractor if you can afford to do that.

4) Link for the HLA:
    http://hlasnow.com/snowwing.php

11. derekslawncare

buildinon,

I had not seen the snow wing. Thanks for the link, it looks pretty cool also. I pretty much had my mind made up on the kage until now. Guess i will have to do some more research and thinking now. thanks.

12. derekslawncare

buildinon,

just wondering, how the wings are controlled. are they moved via already existent buttons on the skid-steer joysticks or are they controlled by a plow controller like in my truck? keep in mind, I'm an inexperienced new skid operator and don't want the learning curve to be too difficult in the dark at 0200 hrs you know? also, how bulletproof are the wing actuators? electric or hydro? that is one of my issues with my current v-plow is the constant malfunctioning wings. just thinking the less moving/mechanical parts, the better.

13. derekslawncare

buildinon,

just wondering, how the wings are controlled. are they moved via already existent buttons on the skid-steer joysticks or are they controlled by a plow controller like in my truck? keep in mind, I'm an inexperienced new skid operator and don't want the learning curve to be too difficult in the dark at 0200 hrs you know? also, how bulletproof are the wing actuators? electric or hydro? that is one of my issues with my current v-plow is the constant malfunctioning wings. just thinking the less moving/mechanical parts, the better.

14. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Your skid steer has to have aux. hydraulics. You need to install a 3 position toggle switch in the cab to run the diverter on the plow. In position 1 the controls to run the aux hydraulics will move 1 wing, in position 2 it will run the other wing and in position 3 it will run the angle for the plow. It's easier then it sounds.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQh5yHy80bA&list=UUHLmvtmJb7M5jVccIpbRBqg

Watch this, around 1:30 will show you.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  15. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

Hey sorry I have not been on to reply to your questions. Dealing with a pregnant wife and all...lol...but as cet said it an all hydro set up. so far I have not had or seen a failure with them like an electric set up. This winter here in Chicago the set up saw some extreme use with the snow we had, and it held its own with out a problem. I was really impressed with how it held up during the extreme cold this winter with the amount of below zero days and nights we had with it being a hydro unit. Some of the reasons that I really liked the unit when buying it was that you didn't have to take time to take the box part on and off to keep working. It is all in the flick of a switch. Plus it opens from a box to a straight blade for more open areas. Such as parking lots or wide drives. Then there was the convience of being able to have a small enough box style plow on a skid and put it on a trailer and drive it to the next site. Yes it is a little heavy, but it is well built.

You say you have the Meyer plow in your truck, don't try to judge any other equipment off of your experiences with that thing :) I am not going to bash them, but I am not a fan of them :) I see your from KC , not sure if it is Mo or Ks but I know there is a dealer in Mo for the HLA. Just look them up.