1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid Steer Vs. Pick-up truck

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by procut, Feb 16, 2011.

1. procut

procut Senior Member

Alright, just looking for some opinions from those who have used both. I see a lot of guys using skids with 8' push boxes. To me, I have to wonder can they really move that much more snow than a pick-up with a 9'-6" vee or an Blizzard 810 / Western Wideout? I could see them having possibly a little more carrying capacity, but they would be a lot slower than a truck, thus pretty much cancelling that out. Especially on just a 2"-4" inch snowfall, it seems like you could move more snow with a truck not to mention be in a more comfortable and civilized enviroment. Opinions, like I said, I've never used one.
  2. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

I thought the same thing as you until last year when we added a 95hp Gehl skid loader with a 2 speed and an Arctic 10' sectional plow. We do a lot of apartment complexes, small businesses, banks, etc all within a 3 mile area. The skid does the job of at least 3 trucks and all of our trucks have either 9'6" v's or wideouts. I couldn't beleive what that skid can do. I think without a 2 speed and without being as big as it is it wouldn't be nearly as productive but it is truely amazing how productive it is. We are actually thinking of adding another one next year and only using trucks for far out places and to salt.
  3. cold_and_tired

cold_and_tired PlowSite.com Addict

I found about a 30% improvement in efficiency across the board. I have a few accounts where the skid has totally eliminated the truck. Others, the truck still rules.

I am picking up a backhoe and pusher in hopes to totally eliminate trucks by next year.

On one tight but large site, we went from 8 hrs of truck time to 3 hrs of skid time. That was by far our biggest improvement.

The capacity of our pusher is about 5-7 cubic yards. The capacity of a blade is going to be about half that at best. You also have major time savings if you can push in both directions.
  4. 3ipka

3ipka Senior Member

These threads seem to pop-up over and over again.
    To answer your questions, there is no comparison between a truck and a skid, sure each has its advantage over the other but in the end the skid does overall outperform a truck when it comes to a snow removal application. In terms of the comment on the blizzard/wideout having more carrying capacity, you can put a blizzard power plow on a skid, if you think it will suit your needs better then a box. I personally don't like boxes, they are only good in certain applications, IMO multi-position plows like the blizzard, snowing, v-plows are much more versatile. In terms of comparing comfort my case skid is as comfy as my truck, I have Heat/AC, Radio, suspension seat, arm rests, cup holders, pretty much everything I have in my truck. Also Case is letting out a new line of skid steers in april, and they now offer seat warmers as options, now thats awesome....
  5. snocrete

snocrete Banned

A 2speed skid w/pusher is more productive than a truck in most commercial settings from what I have seen....and makes taller/tighter piles.
  6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

sectional plow is amazing how well it cleans,isn't?
  7. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

I agree. I've run both and the skids are at least 50% more productive. On some lots even more than 50%. Trucks do still have their place though.
  8. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

We will be running Skids at all locations next year. We ran 4 Trucks and 1 skid this year, and the Skid made any 2 trucks look like they were City workers holding shovels watching the other guy dig.

Did an experiment on a 2 inch snow.
    Didnt' put a Truck on the lot (14 acres). Wanted to see if the skid could do it all on it's own. (Cat 450 2 speed with 10' Arctic Sectional)
    Did the whole job in 5 hours including an hour of extra cleanup leftover from our little 16.7" blizzard.
    2 Trucks usually take a minimum of 4 hours each (8 total) with 2". (lots of lanes).
    It's a no brainer.
    I can lease the skid for 1k a month for 4 months.
    No wear and tear on the trucks.
    I'm an idiot for not doing it sooner.
  9. PlatinumService

PlatinumService Senior Member

so you did 14 acres of plowing with a 2 speed skid and 10' pusher in 4 hours plus one hour of clean up?
  10. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Yes. No BS. It amazed me too. Where it really shined was on the big open parts of the lot as it could take 8' of the sectional, and wouldn't lose any snow out of the "trailing" side.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  11. greywynd

greywynd PlowSite.com Addict

It all depends on the site, and your routes. If you can windrow, and leave a bank along a long side, then a truck can be a lot faster.

If you have a lot of little dead ends, tight areas etc, then a skid can easily outperform a truck. On large open lots, it could be comparable, depending on the shape and size of the lot, where you can or can't place snow, what you have on the skid, etc.
  12. PlatinumService

dont take this the wrong way but i dont believe you. i have a tractor with a horst 10-16 it expands to 16 ft and is a 10 ft box as well, and i do 14 acres in 4 hours with a truck pulling out parking and handicapped spots.

are you able to push the snow both ways? how do you back blade anything? how long are the runs?

if this is true i would invest in a skid instead of a backhoe.

what is a cat 450 skid?
  13. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Sorry, it's a Case 450. No back dragging and you can push in 3 different directions on every lot. Here's the lot

14. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

What size and style of plows on the 2 trucks vamootsman
  15. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

Snoway 29R on an F250 diesel and a Boss 8'2" on an F250 5.4L
  16. PlatinumService

so your telling me 14 acres and 16" of snow in 5 hours all cleaned up with a case 450 and 10'pusher.

thats just about 3 acres an hour. om really trying to wrap my head around that..... im really thinking of changing my strategy if thats the case.

thats 200% more efficient than a truck
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  17. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

2" in 4 hours.
  18. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

I think he said a 2" snow and that he had some clean up to do from the Blizzard that was before that dropped 16". I will for sure back this up as we have just about the same setup and could not believe what this combination can do. We have an excellent operator in our machine that doesn't waste any movement and is always in high gear. The skid with a 2 speed is super fast and can turn in an instant and be going the other way before the truck even kicks the reverse lights on. we also push with a JD 7810 with a 14' pusher and obviously the skid can not out perform that combo but in smaller areas it shines.
  19. vamootsman

vamootsman Senior Member

2"s of snow is what I pushed off the lots.

We had some snow stacked in places that I didn't want it left in, so I knocked some of the piles back, and cleared a side walk that had drifted to high for a Truck or our blowers. That took about an hour of the 5 that I was there.
  20. PlatinumService

oh my mistake.

i really like the response this is getting.. i just want all my ducks in a row.

but still 14 acres in 4 hours is a good number. thats 3.5 acres an hour and for the price of a skid is way cheaper than a tractor or a backhoe.

could your skid handle a 12'?