1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Skid Steer versus truck plowing

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by john.melby@gmai, Dec 5, 2008.

1. john.melby@gmai

john.melby@gmai Junior Member

After the 2-3 Wisconsin 2-6" snow falls so far in the 2008 - 2009 season, and my first season plowing with a John Deere 328 and a 9' Boss Trip edge straight plow, here's some info that may be useful to you: This combo is fast, has good traction, and does quality plowing -- regardless of the snow conditions. Trailering in the snow is scary. Don't think I need a vee plow or wings or a pusher since the 2 speed moves fast and the skid steer is so maneuverable. Snowplow dealer said more plowers are buying skid steer blades versus years before. Can anyone add their comments based on their skid steer and/or truck plowing experience?

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

I use trucks because I will NOT pull a trailer when it is snowing and the raods arent clear.
    I use my skid to move piles later tho.

3. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I only use trucks because that's all I have for now. But I see a lot of guys around here with skids. Nobody trailers them around during a storm though. They are all parked at bigger lots, where it is worth having one on site strictly for that job.

4. Knockah22

Knockah22 Senior Member

i drive a skid from site to site(all within a mile) and have even trailered in the snow. in my opinion using a trailer in the snow isnt all that bad just gotta take it slow, although moving to more than two locations is a bit unefficient and i wouldnt recommend that. i use the standard bobcat blade and it works great but wings would make alot better. the machine i drive is a one speed which its only draw back but it stills does the job, i think its about the same as a truck in terms of speed(1 speed) in plowing. the only advantages are quick turn arounds and being alot smaller than most trucks. i plow some parking decks where samller size is a big advantage.

5. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

skids stay on sites, moved around after the storm to move snow piles... but they never get trailered... super scary. I dont know how guys do it.. i see 4 or 5 every time it snows... 3AM and dude is pulling a tripple axle deck over with a skid on top. Nuts

6. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

Maybe it's just me, but I hate loading and unloading the skid steer in all the slush and snow. I leave it at the job site till spring.

7. SweetGreens

SweetGreens Junior Member
    from Iowa

this is my first season and all i use is a bobcat and snow blower. I was worried pulling a trailer in the snow, but it really isnt that bad. You just gotta drive smart and safe. It takes a little longer, but very maneuverable. So far im lovin it. Cant wait till it snows again!payup

8. snowman55

snowman55 PlowSite.com Addict

we trailer 6 bobcats thoughout the storm all over town. competant safe drivers and dot cert trailers its no big deal. use the skids mainly on townhomes to pull out the drives.

9. grsp

grsp Member
    from indiana

we use an s250 with a 8611ss blizzard plow. and let me tell you it will simply out plow 3 trucks. just think of the amount of time you spend backing up every night. when lots are planned out precisely, a skid steer can plow in both directions. no backing-up needed. we don't trailer it a all. have enough work within a half mile to keep it busy for 10 hours for each push. i wish i could get rid of half my trucks and replace them with 4 skid steers. just a quick note. i think the safest way to transport a skid steer is with a dump trailer. with the high sides and everyhting. we have done that a couple times to cover for broken trucks.

10. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Used to trailer my tractor with a 3-point spreader on the back behind my truck to one site, it was ok but I wouldn't want to go any more distance than that on unplowed roads, got a little tricky climbing the hills sometimes...

11. sherwin

sherwin Member

We run a CAT 257B2 with a Boss 8' w/ wings in addition to our trucks. We trailer it without a problem. I was going through campus in the middle of a storm, rush hour and doing better than most cars. We don't use it on big lots, mostly tight quarters, and then to cleanout stalls and such after it's main route is done. There is simply some jobs where a truck just won't do the trick, so nobody wants them and people pay big bucks to have a skid do the work. Condo's and HOA's it is the only way when you have 80 driveways to clean. I thought this thing was productive before, but after we put the wings on this year, the same jobs are at least 25% faster.

12. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

I run an asv sr70 with a blizzard 810. i really wish it had a 2spd trans. I don't have a direct comparison by myself on the same lot, but I am faster in my 1ton dump with a blizzard 8611lp than my inexperienced plower in the skid.

13. heather lawn spray

heather lawn spray PlowSite.com Addict

We put a Bobcat with a blower on the truck. ADDS to the traction. Baby Bobcat on a flat deck. The boys can have it on or off in 5 minutes

14. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

I hate owning trucks. Wish I could run all tractors and skidloaders. Trailering in the snow is no big deal, but we still try to not move any of the machines when it snows. They either sit on the site (find a condo owner who heads south and use their garage) or I pre place them a day before the forcasted snow.

15. KGRlandscapeing

KGRlandscapeing 2000 Club Member

I see guys doing it all the time. Actually i normally hear it i clean alot and during a storm i hear this open roar of a cummins turbo in a 3500 pullin a skid chaseing there dump druck with plow. Its pretty much like clock work. But when i get bigger, ill try and locallize all the lots so that the equipment can stay in place. Or ill just run large enough stuff that it can travel roadways if need be. I have plowd in a skid condos mostly I didnt really like it id much rather chasein driveways with the crazys.

16. JimMac

JimMac Junior Member
    from MA

sven1277;
    I have a ASV RC50 rubber track skid steer loader. I have a snow bucket which holds a larger amount of snow. I am considering getting a plow blade for the machine. The ASV only has 1 speed which is 7 mph...it's pretty slow. Is it worth it to try a snow plow blade? Is it too slow? Also, isn't the snow bucket like a box end plow, I mean why buy a snow plow with ends when the bucket has sides? So far, I just use my 2 trucks with 9" Fisher HD straight blades. I don't know that my ASV would be advantageous. Thanks for any input. JimMac from Boston.

17. john.melby@gmai

john.melby@gmai Junior Member

"Is it worth it to try a snow plow blade?"
    Tight quarters like a condo association or residential driveway -- a plow for a one speed may make sense. If all your work is long drives or large open lots where you need speed to throw the snow, a plow may not be worth it. BTW, my 9' Boss trip edge has been good after 4 snows - not much experience, however.

'99 Ford Superduty 7.3
    '04 Imperial split floor low boy trailer
    '08 JD 328 Skid
    '08 BOSS skid trip edge
    '80 JD 400 with blower

18. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

S300 2 speed with a 12ft angle blade and an agressive operator pretty tough to beat!

19. Humvee27

Humvee27 Senior Member

I have a skid that I use to stack after the roads are clear....I leave it on site at one job though....Only problem I have is no blade right now, just the bucket. I'm looking to expand though so I'll be adding more trucks first, as long as I have the skid available to do the stacking.

20. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

john.melby@gmai

i see your from WI. i just bought another NH from Kelbe Bros in Milwaukee...they were telling me that they are selling skids for snow at an almost unheard of rate. btw..what is your forecast for the next few days, i have been trying to drive up from st. louis for a week but it's either snowing there or here !!
    steve